Wind Tunnel - relevant formulae

In summary, the speakers are discussing their assignment to construct a rig for a discus and measure the drag and lift generated at different angles in a wind tunnel. They have tabulated their results but are having trouble finding a formula to determine the total distance the discus has traveled. Some are suggesting to use lift and drag coefficients, but the speaker believes that their collected data can be used to add and subtract vectors to find the total distance.
JayFM
Hello :)

I am currently in grade 11, in Australia. I have an assignment to be completed in the wind tunnel, where we could choose any topic we liked. We also needed to write a full report on it.

My lab partner and I decided to construct a rig for a discus (Sporting implement), and measure the drag and lift generated at angles incrementing by five degrees (0 - 50 degrees).

We have tabulated our results, but we are having trouble finding a formula that we could use in relation to this. Some other people in the class are looking up the formulas for lift and drag, and their respective coefficients, but I honestly do not feel those formula are necessary, as we do not need to find lift and drag, we need to find the total distance the discus has traveled.

My initial thought was to just use the formula for projection (Help here would be appreciated), and then, going by the fact that vectors can be added/subtracted, simply do that.

Does anyone have any ideas, or know of formulas that we could use? as it would be a great help!

Thanks,
Jay.

Physics news on Phys.org
You really do need to start with lift and drag coefficients - otherwise, a discus through is just projectile motion.

Thanks for the reply!

I understand that without lift and drag, a discus throw is basically a projectile motion, though I'm saying that we have already conducted the wind tunnel experiment in order to find out the lift and drag at certain angles.
From those results, is it not possible to just add/subtract vectors to find out how far in total the disc has traveled?

Jay.

Related to Wind Tunnel - relevant formulae

1. What is the formula for calculating wind speed in a wind tunnel?

The formula for calculating wind speed in a wind tunnel is V = Q/A, where V is the velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wind tunnel.

2. How do I calculate the Reynolds number in a wind tunnel?

The Reynolds number in a wind tunnel can be calculated using the formula Re = ρVL/μ, where Re is the Reynolds number, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity, L is the characteristic length, and μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid.

3. What is the formula for calculating pressure in a wind tunnel?

The formula for calculating pressure in a wind tunnel is P = 0.5ρV², where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, and V is the velocity.

4. How do I determine the Mach number in a wind tunnel?

The Mach number in a wind tunnel can be determined using the formula Ma = V/a, where Ma is the Mach number, V is the velocity, and a is the speed of sound in the fluid.

5. What is the relationship between air temperature and density in a wind tunnel?

The relationship between air temperature and density in a wind tunnel is described by the ideal gas law, which states that density is directly proportional to temperature and inversely proportional to pressure. Therefore, as temperature increases, density decreases, and vice versa.