Wind Power Generation Comparison

In summary, the first site has a mass flow rate of 7 m/s for 3000 hours per year, while the second site has a mass flow rate of 10 m/s for 2000 hours per year. Using this information, it can be determined that the second site is a better location for wind power generation due to its higher annual mass flow.
OUmecheng

Homework Statement

Two sites are being considered for wind power generation. In the first site, the wind blows steadily at 7 m/s for 3000 hours per year, whereas the second site the wind blows at 10m/s for 2000 hours per year. Assuming wind velocity is negligible at other times for simplicity, determine which is a better site for wind power generation. Hint: note that the mass flow rate of air is proportional to wind velocity.

Homework Equations

e=KE=(V^2)/2
E = me

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I found e1 and e2 with the first equation.

Which gives me 24.5 and 50 J/Kg (respectively)

But I'm stuck now. How can I find m? It says that that the mass flow rate of air is proportional to wind velocity but how can I tie in time? Any hints would help.

I can tell that the second site would be more efficient, but I can't explain why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OUmecheng said:
But I'm stuck now. How can I find m? It says that that the mass flow rate of air is proportional to wind velocity but how can I tie in time? Any hints would help.
They are probably wanting the site with the highest annual mass flow, where
mass flow = mass flow rate x time

Related to Wind Power Generation Comparison

What is wind power generation?

Wind power generation is the process of converting wind energy into electricity. This is done by using wind turbines, which capture the kinetic energy of the wind and convert it into mechanical energy that can then be converted into electricity.

How does wind power compare to other sources of energy?

Compared to other sources of energy, wind power is considered to be one of the most environmentally friendly options. It produces no greenhouse gas emissions and has a low impact on the environment. It is also a renewable energy source, meaning it is constantly replenished by nature.

What are the advantages of wind power generation?

There are several advantages of wind power generation. It is a renewable energy source, meaning it will never run out. It is also clean and does not produce any harmful emissions. Wind power is also becoming more cost-effective, making it a more affordable option for energy production.

What are the limitations of wind power generation?

One limitation of wind power generation is its reliance on wind. This means that wind power is not constant and can vary depending on weather conditions. Wind turbines also take up a lot of space and can be noisy, which can be a concern for some communities.

How does the efficiency of wind power generation compare to other sources of energy?

The efficiency of wind power generation varies depending on the location and the size of the turbines. Generally, it has a lower efficiency compared to other sources of energy, such as fossil fuels. However, as technology advances and wind turbines become more efficient, the gap is decreasing.