Wilsonian effective field theory

In summary, the conversation is discussing effective field theory and the use of diagrams with external lines k<\Lambda and internal lines k>\Lambda. The question is why diagrams with 6 external legs equate to the constant c_6 and not the 6 point vertex function. The person is asking for clarification on this topic in quantum field theory.
LAHLH
Hi,

could anyone explain to me why in effective field theory (as in ch29 srednicki), you look at diagrams with only [tex]k<\Lambda[/tex] as external lines and [tex]k>\Lambda[/tex] for your interal lines? why do these diagrams with say, 6 external legs of this type, equate to the constant [tex] c_6 [/tex] say? In previous chapters of the book it's usually the exact 6 point vertex function that would equate to such a diagram, not the 6 point coupling constant itself etc.

I understand the math behind what Srednicki is doing, but not sure I understand what he is actually trying to do here, so all comments on this whole topic in QFT would be great.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I second that! :-)

ansgar said:
I second that! :-)

Hah, anyone out there know how this stuff works?

Related to Wilsonian effective field theory

1. What is Wilsonian effective field theory?

Wilsonian effective field theory is a framework used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of particles at different energy scales. It takes into account the effects of all possible interactions between particles, including those that are typically ignored in other theoretical approaches. It allows for a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of particle behavior, particularly at high energies.

2. How does Wilsonian effective field theory differ from other theoretical approaches?

Unlike other theoretical approaches, which typically focus on a specific energy scale or set of interactions, Wilsonian effective field theory considers all possible interactions between particles. This allows for a more complete understanding of particle behavior at different energy scales.

3. What is the significance of using Wilsonian effective field theory?

Using Wilsonian effective field theory allows for a more precise and comprehensive understanding of particle behavior at different energy scales. It also allows for the study of particles in extreme environments, such as high energy collisions, which are difficult to study using other theoretical approaches.

4. Can Wilsonian effective field theory be applied to all particles?

Yes, Wilsonian effective field theory can be applied to all particles, including those in the Standard Model of particle physics and beyond. It is a general framework that can be used to study the behavior of particles at any energy scale.

5. How is Wilsonian effective field theory used in practical applications?

Wilsonian effective field theory is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the study of high energy collisions at particle accelerators, the prediction of particle behavior in extreme environments like the early universe or black holes, and in the development of new theories beyond the Standard Model of particle physics.