Will Vehicle One and Vehicle Two Collide?

In summary, two vehicles are involved in a potential collision. Vehicle one is initially driving at 30 m/s and decelerates at a rate of -2.00 m/s2 while vehicle two is moving at a slower speed of 5.00 m/s. The question is whether or not a collision will occur and if not, what is the closest distance between the two vehicles. To solve this problem, the appropriate one dimension motion equation must be used, taking into account the initial positions, initial velocities, and accelerations of both vehicles.
mickellowery

Homework Statement

Vehicle one driving 30 m/s. Slow moving vehicle 155 m ahead driving 5.00 m/s. Vehicle one brakes and decelerates at -2.00 m/s2. Is there a collision? If not what's the closest they get?

Homework Equations

Vehicle one info:
Vi= 30 m/s
A= -2 m/s2
[tex]\Delta[/tex]X= 155 m

Vehicle two info:
Vi= 5.00 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to set this one up. I'm not even quite sure if I should have the [tex]\Delta[/tex]X= 155 m. I know that I'll need to have an equation for each vehicle and then set them equal to each other, but I'm not sure which of the one dimension motion equations to use here.

Physics news on Phys.org
mickellowery said:
I know that I'll need to have an equation for each vehicle and then set them equal to each other, but I'm not sure which of the one dimension motion equations to use here.

Use the equation that has all of the following:
Initial position
Initial velocity
acceleration.

You can use the same equation for both vehicles. But you'll have to apply the equation differently to each vehicle. :wink:

Related to Will Vehicle One and Vehicle Two Collide?

1. What is one dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, typically on a single axis. This type of motion can be described using only one coordinate, usually distance or displacement.

2. How is one dimensional motion different from two or three dimensional motion?

In one dimensional motion, an object only moves along a single axis, while in two or three dimensional motion, an object can move along multiple axes. This means that in one dimensional motion, an object's position can be described using only one coordinate, while in two or three dimensional motion, multiple coordinates are needed to describe the object's position.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement in one dimensional motion?

Distance refers to the total amount of ground an object has covered in its motion, while displacement refers to the change in an object's position from its starting point to its end point. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in one dimensional motion?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity refers to the rate at which an object is changing its position. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity. In one dimensional motion, an object's speed and velocity are the same if it is moving in a straight line.

5. How is acceleration calculated in one dimensional motion?

Acceleration in one dimensional motion is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be written as a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. Acceleration is a vector quantity and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).