Will this circuit work? what am i missing?

In summary, the voltage spike produced when the transistor turns off will cause damage to the transistor if it is not protected with a diode.
sulicat
hi,
so i want to be able to run a motor depending on whether or not an IR detector senses IR light. so the basic idea at the start was to connect the motor with the detector and a resistor in series and therefore if there is IR the current will flow turning on the motor. I then learned that the current is limited by the low current device, ie:- the detector.

so will the correct way to go about this be to connect the detector and a transistor in series then connect a motor in parallel and make it depend on the transistor ?
here's a quick diagram of what i mean.
oqzjfd.png

will this work ?

the math i used to determine the resistance of R1 is as follows.
needed voltage drop = 9 - 1.2 = 7.8
r = v/I = 7.8/0.001
r = 7800 ohms
again I am not completely sure that this way of doing it is correct. you can probably tell I am very much a newbie...

also what kinda stuff will i have to consider for the transistor ? like is there a voltage limit ? does it provide considerable Resistance ? will it cause a voltage drop ? will the voltage from the inner circuit be added to it ?
the motor is a 9 v DC motor.

thank you

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 430
Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there

welcome to PF :smile:

No it won't work the way you want because the transistor is hard biased on all the time

here's a quick cct I put together for you
see how you go
diode across the motor a 1N4007
the variable resistor experiment with something ~ 4k7 to 10k ... it will adj the turn on sensitivity
make sure the transistor can handle the current required by the motor

motor drive.GIF

cheers
Dave

Can you explain to me why you put a diode across the motor ? How does it affect current flow ?

sulicat said:
Can you explain to me why you put a diode across the motor ? How does it affect current flow ?
a motor is basically an inductotor. When you shut the transistor off there will be a voltage spike due to the motor inductance. That diode will clamp the voltage and allow current to flow. Otherwise you can/will damage the transistor.

Likes davenn
When you interrupt the current through an inductor (including motors) you get a voltage spike that can damage transistors etc.. The diode will not conduct in normal operation because it is reverse biased but a voltage spike in the other polarity will make the diode conduct and dissipate the magnetic energy in the inductor when the transistor turns off. It's a very effective form of protection (and quite smart, imo).

Likes davenn
Hmmmnn that is extremely interesting. Thank you for explaining. So the voltage spike that the motor will produce once turned off is AC?

thanks Don and sophie for answering that Q in my absence :smile:

sulicat said:
Hmmmnn that is extremely interesting. Thank you for explaining. So the voltage spike that the motor will produce once turned off is AC?

ummmm ... not sure if I would deem it AC or DC ... its just a large spike

one of the others may clarify it better :smile:

cheers
Dave

sulicat look at it this way. It is a DC system, due to the fact that it runs off DC voltage.
Most systems have 2 main modes of operation, steady state and transient. Transient operations occur when something is a system changes (like a motor shutting off).
It is a transient pulse caused by changing conditions. When that pulse goes away, the circuit will be in steady state again (but the motor will be off)

Related to Will this circuit work? what am i missing?

1. How do I know if my circuit will work?

The best way to determine if your circuit will work is to simulate it using a software like LTSpice or Proteus. This will allow you to see the voltage and current values at each component and identify any potential issues.

2. What are the necessary components for a circuit to work?

The necessary components for a circuit to work include a power source (such as a battery or power supply), conductors (wires), and components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. The specific components needed will depend on the type of circuit and its intended function.

3. What are common mistakes that can prevent a circuit from working?

Some common mistakes that can prevent a circuit from working include incorrect wiring, using incorrect or faulty components, and not providing enough power to the circuit. It is also important to ensure that all components are connected properly and that there are no shorts or open circuits.

4. How can I troubleshoot a circuit that is not working?

To troubleshoot a circuit, start by checking all connections and components to make sure they are correct and in working condition. Use a multimeter to measure voltage and current at different points in the circuit to identify any potential issues. You can also use a breadboard to test different configurations and isolate the problem.

5. Do I need to have a deep understanding of electronics to make a circuit work?

While having a deep understanding of electronics can certainly be beneficial, it is not always necessary to make a circuit work. With the help of simulation software and online resources, even beginners can successfully design and build circuits. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of components and their functions to troubleshoot and make modifications if needed.