Will the spring stretch or compress?

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration of an elevator and the calculation of the effective acceleration of gravity. The question is whether the effective acceleration of gravity is greater or less than g = 9.81 m/s2 when the elevator is accelerating downwards. The answer is less than g, based on the given information. The conversation also mentions a calculation for the stretch of a spring, but does not provide enough context to determine whether the spring will stretch or compress.
yesmale4
Homework Statement
A spring (k = 711 N/m) is attached to the ceiling of an elevator. How much will the spring stretch (relative to its unstretched length), if a 5.8 kg object is attached to the lower end and the elevator is accelerating downward at 0.41 m/s2?
Relevant Equations
Hooke's law
F=ma
as.png

jj.jpg

i would like to understand why my answer is incorrect i don't know what I am doing wrong i would like for some help

Attachments

• jj.jpg
    jj.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 89
Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration of elevator downward lessen g which amounts 9.8-0.4 downward.

Is the effective acceleration of gravity when the elevator is accelerating down greater or less than g = 9.81 m/s2?

kuruman said:
Is the effective acceleration of gravity when the elevator is accelerating down greater or less than g = 9.81 m/s2?
less

anuttarasammyak said:
Acceleration of elevator downward lessen g which amounts 9.8-0.4 downward.
i try this i did (-5.8*(9.81-0.41))/711 and get -0.0766m and its still the wrong answer

The problem asks for the stretch of the spring. Will the spring stretch or compress?

Related to Will the spring stretch or compress?

1. What is Hooke's law spring stretch?

Hooke's law spring stretch is a principle in physics that states the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position.

2. Who discovered Hooke's law?

Hooke's law was discovered by English scientist Robert Hooke in the 17th century.

3. What is the formula for Hooke's law?

The formula for Hooke's law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

4. How is Hooke's law used in real life?

Hooke's law is used in various applications, such as in the design of springs for mechanical devices, measuring the elasticity of materials, and in the study of earthquakes and other natural phenomena.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of Hooke's law?

The accuracy of Hooke's law can be affected by factors such as the material of the spring, the temperature, and the amount of force applied to the spring.