Will the Cyclist Skid Around the Turn?

• Thread starter Woody11
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing whether a cyclist would skid or make a turn while going 10m/sec around a 20 m radius turn, weighing 60kg and with a coefficient of static friction of 0.2. The maximum speed the cyclist could go around the turn without skidding was calculated to be 6.2 m/sec. The conclusion is that the cyclist would skid when going around the turn due to the speed being higher than the maximum allowed.
Woody11
Will The cyclist Skid??

Can someone tell me if I have done this right. The question I am working on is...

A cyclist is going 10m/sec around a 20 m radius turn. If they weight 60kg and the coefficient of static friction is 0.2, will the make the turn or skid into a crash??

I found the maximun speed the cyclist could go around the turn without skidding and got 6.2 m/sec. Then I assumed that becasue it was slower then what the cyclist was traveling they would skid when going around teh turn.

Have I done this right or should I have gone a different route in doing this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me Woody, although I'm pretty pissed and it's late.

You're correct, but use standard written English next time. A cyclist is a single person, therefore you wouldn't refer to him as "they."

Thats right.

Regards,

Nenad

Related to Will the Cyclist Skid Around the Turn?

1. How does the weight of the cyclist affect the likelihood of skidding?

The weight of the cyclist affects the likelihood of skidding because it determines the amount of force applied to the bike's tires. The more weight there is, the more friction there is between the tires and the road, making it less likely for the cyclist to skid.

2. Can the type of bike tires impact the chance of skidding?

Yes, the type of bike tires can impact the chance of skidding. Wider tires have more surface area in contact with the road, providing better traction and making it less likely for the cyclist to skid. Additionally, tires with treads or patterns can also help with grip and reduce the chance of skidding.

3. What role do road conditions play in a cyclist's ability to skid?

Road conditions play a significant role in a cyclist's ability to skid. Wet or icy roads have less friction, making it easier for the bike tires to lose grip and causing the cyclist to skid. Uneven or gravelly roads can also increase the chances of skidding.

4. Is it possible for a skilled cyclist to avoid skidding altogether?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the chance of skidding, skilled cyclists can reduce the likelihood of skidding through proper technique and control. This includes maintaining proper balance, using the brakes correctly, and being aware of road conditions.

5. Can the speed of the cyclist impact the potential for skidding?

Yes, the speed of the cyclist can impact the potential for skidding. Higher speeds mean more force and momentum, making it easier for the tires to lose grip and for the cyclist to skid. It is important for cyclists to adjust their speed based on road conditions and their own skill level to avoid skidding.