Will older age factor affect my ability to get tenured?

• Thread starter diligence
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, being 10 years older than your peers might not be a major issue when it comes to gaining tenure in a mathematics professor position.
diligence
Hey all,

I'm a non-traditional student. I won't even begin graduate school until I'm 32 or 33. As of now, my plan is to become a mathematics professor (yes i know the slim statistics and no i don't want to dwell on that), and I'm wondering, will being ~10 years older than my peers affect my ability to gain tenure?

Physics news on Phys.org
My friends in math have always told me there is a strong bias towards people in their mid to late 30s. Not just getting tenure- finding a university position anywhere might be tough.

It is illegal to discriminate by age in the US.

It is tough to get a faculty job anywhere. You age is the least of your problems.

It is tough to get a faculty job anywhere. You age is the least of your problems.

Vanadium 50 said:

Only if you are over 40. See 29 U.S.C. § 631(a)) http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/29/631%28a%29.html

And public universities are exempt from the ADEA under state sovereign immunity. Google for Kimel v. Florida Bd. Of Regents

42 USC 6103 prohibits age discrimination in education receiving federal funding, but subsection (b)(1)(A) allows a program to take into account age if it is necessary to the normal operation of any statutory objective or if you can find some reasonable factor other than age.

Last edited by a moderator:
diligence said:
I won't even begin graduate school until I'm 32 or 33. As of now, my plan is to become a mathematics professor (yes i know the slim statistics and no i don't want to dwell on that), and I'm wondering, will being ~10 years older than my peers affect my ability to gain tenure?

I think you are going to be doing spectacularly well if you get to the point where this even becomes an issue.

Are we all daft? Age is always a discriminating factor for job interviewers. We are discriminating creatures. Those discriminating individuals who are job interviewers are among the set of individuals who are 'we', the dscriminating individuals. Is this clear?

The rule of law has nothing to do with hiring beyond imparatives from the managers of hirees and who tell them "we have to have more women", or more blacks or hispanics to fill quota expections. Pro-women, pro-black, pro-hispanic, or pro-youth discrimination has been institutionalized in the name of anti-discrimination--go figure. It's all double-speak rubbish for the consumption of the socially insane who constitute the majority of us.

I don't think 30-ish is a problem for most job interviewers who might expect those in their twenties. Act 20-ish and less wise then you are. Walk different and act stupid--really.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat age-wise with a goal towards Physics academia. My plan (and hopes) are to focus on my experiences that I had between my first University experience and now. Don't think about it as a 10 year gap where you did nothing (unless you really did nothing...), just think about it as getting some of your 'real world' experience before your degrees ;)

Related to Will older age factor affect my ability to get tenured?

What is the typical age range for tenure track positions?

The typical age range for tenure track positions varies depending on the field and institution, but it is generally between 30-40 years old.

Does being older affect my chances of getting tenure?

While age may be a factor in the tenure process, it is not the only determining factor. Your accomplishments, research, and teaching abilities are also taken into consideration.

Are there any advantages to being an older candidate for tenure?

Being older may bring more life experience and a deeper understanding of your field, which can be advantageous in the tenure process. It can also show dedication and commitment to your career.

Are there any disadvantages to being an older candidate for tenure?

Some may argue that being an older candidate may make it more difficult to adapt to new teaching methods or research techniques. It may also be more challenging to build relationships with younger colleagues and students.

Can I still pursue tenure if I am older?

Yes, age should not be a barrier to pursuing tenure. As long as you meet the qualifications and have a strong record of accomplishments, you have a chance at obtaining tenure regardless of your age.