Will level of liquid increase if ice melts in it?

In summary: When ice melts in water it will cause the level of the liquid to change because the volume displaced is equal to the weight of the ice. For example, if there was an ice cube in a glass of water and the ice melted, the level of the water would go down because the ice cubes weight was displaced. For liquids like oil and mercury, the level of the liquid would not change even if the ice melted in it because the mass of the ice is not enough to change the weight of the liquid.
jd12345
How will the level of liqid change if ice melts in it?
If its water then there is no change - i know this will happen but i don't understand it( intuitively )

Moving on to other liquids - like oil and mercury - what will happen to their levels?
Please help me understand

I actually did find the result for water by writing equations but i do not understand it intuitively - same for others. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the cross-section is constant, the level of water can be said to be directly proportional to the volume of water + volume of water displaced due to the solid object. Now, the solid object here is ice, which is lighter than water, and hence, the volume displaced by it is equal to the weight of the ice cube (since the other portion is then out of water.) Now, when the ice melts, the weight does not change, and hence, the level does not change since the density of ice is less than water. The important facts here are:
1. Ice is lighter than water hence, the displacement is equal to the weight
2. Ice melts into water and not some other liquid whose density is different and hence, the displacement of weight is equal to the displacement of volume after melting.

Thanx a lot
But could you do the same thing for another liquid like oil
Ice floating in oil? What would happen when ice melts - would help me a lot - thank you

Any object floating in a liquid displaces a volume of the liquid corresponding to the mass of the object.
If it changes state but still floats then there will be no change to the level of liquid.
Water ice floating on oil, then melting, would sink, water being heavier than (most if not all) oil. It would therefore be displacing less volume than before and the level would drop.
In fact, it's not quite straightforward with ice floating in water. The melting ice will cool the water, causing it to shrink slightly if warmer than 4C, or expand slightly if cooler.

Thank you!

Related to Will level of liquid increase if ice melts in it?

1. Will adding ice to a liquid increase its level when melted?

Yes, adding ice to a liquid will increase its level when melted. This is because the ice has a larger volume than the same amount of liquid, so when it melts, it takes up more space in the container. This is known as the principle of displacement.

2. Why does a liquid level increase when ice melts in it?

As mentioned before, the level of a liquid increases when ice melts in it due to the principle of displacement. The melted ice takes up more space than it did when it was in solid form, causing the overall level of the liquid to rise.

3. Will the level of the liquid be the same after the ice has melted?

No, the level of the liquid will not be the same after the ice has melted. As the ice melts, the level of the liquid will increase due to displacement. However, once the ice has completely melted, the level of the liquid will return to its original state.

4. Does the type of liquid affect the level increase when ice melts in it?

Yes, the type of liquid does affect the level increase when ice melts in it. Different liquids have different densities, so the amount of displacement caused by the melted ice will vary. For example, a denser liquid like honey will show a greater increase in level compared to a less dense liquid like water.

5. Will the level of the liquid increase indefinitely as the ice continues to melt?

No, the level of the liquid will not increase indefinitely as the ice continues to melt. Once the ice has completely melted, the level of the liquid will stop increasing and return to its original state. This is because the melted ice will mix with the liquid and the two will become one homogeneous mixture.