Will Humans ever completely understand the universe?

• Thread starter Shano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, people are still searching for answers to questions about the universe and whether or not humans will be able to survive.
Shano
Hi All,
I stumbled across these forums while googling for peoples thoughts on this question. I see that this similar question has be asked before some years ago, and I wanted to get current opinions and ideas on the following. I wonder about this and many of the mysteries we seem to create for ourselves about the Earth during humans history, about how we have thought to have known "things" (e.g. the Earth is flat, the Earth is the centre of the solar system, everything on Earth is made of the four elements fire, earth, water and air. Being a time before we knew about atoms etc), however there is always someone that is willing to ask how or why and challenge the status quo. Even though at the time it seems insurmountable that an answer might be found.

It has me perplexed though as to whether humans will ever reach a point were we will not be able to comprehend or understand parts or all of the universe. Even though we still desire and search for the answers. Will we ever know how the universe was created? Will humans be able to survive that long?

Sorry if I have not posted correctly, I hope that you may forgive as this is my first post to these forums.

I am by no means any kind of scientist nor do I have an education in physics, rather I am simply interested in these areas of question and the answers that science provides us. I look forward to discussing with people their thoughts and ideas on this...

Regards,
Shano.

Space news on Phys.org
Shano said:
It has me perplexed though as to whether humans will ever reach a point were we will not be able to comprehend or understand parts or all of the universe. Even though we still desire and search for the answers. Will we ever know how the universe was created? Will humans be able to survive that long?

We don't know.

Likes Evo and blue_leaf77
Shano said:

Stay tuned at PhysicsForums. We're working on it...:wink:

Likes Drakkith
Shano said:
...the mysteries we seem to create for ourselves...
This is the crux of the matter IMO. 'Lack of understanding' is generated by asking a question no one currently can answer. Questions arise from positioning your mind with regard to some phenomena such that it seems not to make sense. There's no end of the human capacity for that.

Likes Buzz Bloom, Evo and edward
Some insight from Richard Feynman.

Richard Feynman is quoted as saying "You see, one thing is, I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here, and what the question might mean. I might think about it a little bit and if I can't figure it out, then I go on to something else, but I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is so far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me." from the BBC interview and printed in "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out, Doubt and Uncertainty.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman (not source of above quote)

Likes Buzz Bloom, Shano, Amrator and 1 other person
Perfect place to end this.

Related to Will Humans ever completely understand the universe?

1. Will humans ever be able to understand the entire universe?

It is highly unlikely that humans will ever be able to fully comprehend the entire universe. The universe is vast and constantly expanding, and our knowledge and technology are limited. There will always be mysteries and unanswered questions about the universe.

2. What is the current understanding of the universe?

Currently, the most widely accepted understanding of the universe is the Big Bang theory. This theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. However, there are still many aspects of the universe that are not fully understood.

3. Will advancements in technology help us understand the universe better?

Yes, advancements in technology have already greatly increased our understanding of the universe and will continue to do so. With the help of powerful telescopes and other instruments, scientists are able to gather more data and make more accurate observations, leading to a deeper understanding of the universe.

4. Is it possible to discover all the secrets of the universe?

No, it is not possible to discover all the secrets of the universe. The universe is constantly changing and evolving, and there will always be new discoveries to be made. Additionally, our human perspective and limitations may prevent us from fully understanding certain aspects of the universe.

5. How does the concept of infinity affect our understanding of the universe?

The concept of infinity plays a significant role in our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the universe has no boundaries and is constantly expanding, making it difficult for us to fully grasp its vastness and complexity. It also raises questions about the potential existence of other universes beyond our own.