Will brain-computer interfaces reveal more about QM?

• B
  • Thread starter entropy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Qm
In summary, a quantum measurement device is a device that can be used to measure the results of quantum properties. It is unknown if transferring brain states to a hypothetical outer host will alter quantum systems states. It is also unknown if the brain influences the outcome of a photon passing through a half-silvered mirror. It is possible that the brain may experience some "quantumness" that is unlike any currently known experiences. It is also possible that correlations between the sensations of the outcomes and other sensations in the brain may be examined.
entropy1
Will brain-computer interfaces that are hooked up to quantum measurement devices reveal more about quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a quantum measurement device?

EPR said:
What is a quantum measurement device?
I mean a device that gives the result of measurement of some quantum property, like a Stern-Gerlach magnet or a half silvered mirror. Or entanglement.

I am unsure if this is a stupid or a deep question...

Do you mean if transferring brain states to a (hypothetical) outer host will alter quantum systems states?

Why would a computer-brain interface be any better than other observational techniques. I mean, they are all electromecanical observations interpreted by a human brain so what difference would a direct brain interface make? It's likely the OBSERVATIONAL mechanism improvements will be where new data arises, not how their output gets into a brain.

EPR said:
I am unsure if this is a stupid or a deep question...

Do you mean if transferring brain states to a (hypothetical) outer host will alter quantum systems states?
I was thinking influencing measurement outcomes retrocausaly and/or establishing correlations between advanced brain responses and measurement outcomes.

It may or may not be true so it seems a scientific question.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Why would a computer-brain interface be any better than other observational techniques. I mean, they are all electromecanical observations interpreted by a human brain so what difference would a direct brain interface make? It's likely the OBSERVATIONAL mechanism improvements will be where new data arises, not how their output gets into a brain.
For one thing brain responses are much faster and quantum outcomes can be experienced directly. You are right if measurement outcomes from quantum properties are definite, the only advantage is increased processing speed of the observer, but I would like to examine if the outcomes can be influenced by the brain.

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
For one thing brain responses are much faster and quantum outcomes can be experienced directly.
Yes, that is clearly a SPEED advantage, but so what? It really doesn't challenge my point at all (my point being that the information derived is not going to be any better)

phinds said:
Yes, that is clearly a SPEED advantage, but so what? It really doesn't challenge my point at all (my point being that the information derived is not going to be any better)
Suppose we have a photon passing a half-silvered mirror and at both ends a detector hooked up to a brain or pair of brains. We don't know which detector will detect the photon. I would want to examine if the brain influences the outcome. If it does, it may "feel" like predicting the outcome.

It may not predict the outcome but still experience some "quantumness" that is unlike any currently known experiences. I am thinking correlations between the sensations of the outcomes and other sensations in the brain.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes Motore
entropy1 said:
I would want to examine if the brain influences the outcome.
Why would the brain affect the outcome when directly hooked up to the detector? I just don't get it. I think you're going to go nowhere with this line of reasoning, but that's up to you. I will bow out now.

Thread closed for moderation.

Related to Will brain-computer interfaces reveal more about QM?

1. What is a brain-computer interface?

A brain-computer interface, also known as a BCI, is a technology that allows for direct communication between the brain and a computer. This is achieved through the use of electrodes or other sensors that detect brain activity and translate it into commands that can be understood by a computer.

2. How can brain-computer interfaces reveal more about quantum mechanics?

Brain-computer interfaces can potentially reveal more about quantum mechanics by allowing researchers to directly observe and manipulate brain activity in response to quantum phenomena. This can provide insights into how the brain processes and responds to quantum information, which can inform our understanding of quantum mechanics.

3. Can brain-computer interfaces be used to study quantum entanglement?

Yes, brain-computer interfaces can be used to study quantum entanglement by allowing researchers to monitor and manipulate brain activity in response to entangled particles. This can provide insights into how the brain processes and responds to this phenomenon, which can inform our understanding of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any limitations to using brain-computer interfaces for studying quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to using brain-computer interfaces for studying quantum mechanics. These include the complexity and sensitivity of brain activity, as well as the limitations of current technology in accurately detecting and interpreting brain signals. Additionally, the ethical implications of directly manipulating brain activity for scientific research must also be considered.

5. How can the use of brain-computer interfaces benefit our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The use of brain-computer interfaces can benefit our understanding of quantum mechanics by providing a new perspective and approach to studying this complex field. By directly observing and manipulating brain activity in response to quantum phenomena, we may be able to gain new insights and potentially make breakthroughs in our understanding of the quantum world.