Will absolute zero change with pressure?

In summary, according to the ideal gas law, temperature cannot go below absolute zero as it is physically impossible to have negative pressure or volume. This means that even if we further decrease the pressure of the environment while keeping the container volume constant, the gas will not go under absolute zero. Achieving a temperature below absolute zero is currently not possible.
Walteholic
Say we are talking about an ideal gas.

According to ideal gas law (PV=nRT), assuming the gas is now at absolute zero, if we further decrease the pressure of the environment, while keeping the container volume constant, will the gas goes under absolute zero?

I wasn't an expert in Physics so please enlighten me... :sorry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Walteholic said:

According to ideal gas law (PV=nRT), assuming the gas is now at absolute zero, if we further decrease the pressure of the environment, while keeping the container volume constant, will the gas goes under absolute zero?

what is absolute 0 here

Walteholic said:

No, temperature cannot go below absolute zero.

Akhand said:
what is absolute 0 here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero

Walteholic said:

till now emp. below 0K is not achieved
the day we will achieve there will be a change in the eq.

Walteholic said:
PV=nRT
Look at the equation again. For T=0, either V=0 or P=0. You can't get a negative temperature out of it, because you can't have negative pressure nor negative volume.
In other words, you can't decrease pressure below no pressure, and you can't decrease volume below no volume, therefore you can't get negative temperature this way.

Likes Entanglement

Related to Will absolute zero change with pressure?

1. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature that can be reached, at which all molecular motion ceases. It is equivalent to 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius.

2. Does absolute zero change with pressure?

No, absolute zero does not change with pressure. It is a constant value that is independent of pressure.

3. How is absolute zero related to pressure?

There is no direct relationship between absolute zero and pressure. However, the Kelvin temperature scale, which is based on absolute zero, is commonly used in scientific calculations involving pressure.

4. Can absolute zero be achieved in a laboratory?

Technically, it is impossible to reach absolute zero in a laboratory setting. However, scientists have been able to cool gases to temperatures extremely close to absolute zero using specialized techniques.

5. What are the implications of reaching absolute zero?

Reaching absolute zero would have significant implications in the field of physics, as it would allow scientists to study matter in its most basic and inert state. It would also have practical applications, such as improving the efficiency of certain technologies, like superconductors.