Will a Rope Break if Each End is Pulled with 500 N?

In summary, a rope with a maximum strength of 750 N can withstand two people pulling on opposite ends with a force of 500 N each without breaking. This is because the total force on the rope would be 1000 N, but the net force is still 0 N, indicating constant velocity and no acceleration. However, at a section of the rope, stresses equal to 500 N/area would arise. This can be seen as a static strength of materials problem rather than a dynamics problem.
Coldie
"A rope is strong enough to withstand a 750 N force without breaking. If two people pull on opposite ends of the rope, each with a force of 500 N, will it break? Explain."

Am I correct in assuming that the tension force will be 500N?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the total force would be 1000N since you have one force pulling on the left, and one force pulling on the right, EACH with 500N. The rope would break.

UrbanXrisis said:
No, the total force would be 1000N since you have one force pulling on the left, and one force pulling on the right, EACH with 500N. The rope would break.
How does one explain that however, since the net force is still 0 N ?

Net force is zero, since
force from the left = -500N
force from the right = 500N

Fnet=Fl+Fr
=-500N+500N =0 N

All this is telling you is that there is constant velocity and zero acceleration.

However, total force of the two forces is 1000N, since it is the combined force.

I completely forgot about this thread. Sorry for the delay and seeming lack of gratitude on my part:p

Thanks Urban, your response helped, but I'm confused as to why, if you isolate one mass and show the forces like so, Fa - Ft = ma, the tension force will turn out to be 500N? Fa = 500N, the applied force by one team, and ma will be 0, since acceleration is zero. Therefore, the tension force would seem to be the same as the applied force?...

imo tension force would be same as the applied force...

From what I've learned Fapp-Ff= ma ( where ff= frictional force )

Hence Fapp = Ff

Imagine such a diagram where the arrows show the direction in which the people are pulling... they do not coincied with other
<<<<<<.>>>>>>>

i would use Fapp-Ff=fnet if it were like this... eg. if someone is pulling a box and theere is frictional force against it... the (.) is the point of origin

.>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

dunno if my explanation sounded stupid.. hopefully it helped.. LOL... Btw you using the Glencoe Physics textbook coz I've seen the problem in mine..

If you think about the problem from an equilibrium point of view it is a typical mechanics of material exercise ... the "net force" == 0 applies to the system, but at a section of the rope stresses equal to 500 N / Area arise. So I'd take this as a static strength of materials problem rather than a dynamics problem.

Related to Will a Rope Break if Each End is Pulled with 500 N?

What is tension force?

Tension force is a type of force that is exerted by a rope, string, or other type of cable when it is pulled at both ends.

What are the units of measurement for tension force?

The units of measurement for tension force are typically expressed in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

What factors affect tension force?

The factors that affect tension force include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the weight of the object being pulled, and the characteristics of the material used for the rope or cable.

How is tension force different from compression force?

Tension force is a pulling force that stretches an object, while compression force is a pushing force that compresses an object. Tension force is typically caused by an external force, while compression force is caused by internal forces within the object.

Can tension force be negative?

Yes, tension force can be negative if the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the pull. This means that the object is being compressed instead of stretched.