Will a high post count lead to being kicked off PhysicsForums?

• Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
In summary: if he were around today, he might join the band AC/DC.I don't think Tesla would have been a good fit for AC/DC.
Frabjous
Gold Member
It always surprises me when I see a person with a large number of posts with a line through their name. Are their general indicators for a person that is going to go bad?

Physics news on Phys.org
caz said:
It always surprises me when I see a person with a large number of posts with a line through their name. Are their general indicators for a person that is going to go bad?
When they change their major to engineering?

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, Hornbein, Tom.G and 5 others
Ivan Seeking said:
Ouch ! :woot:

Engineers used to say "When they change their major to industrial distribution."

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
caz said:
It is surprising and it is sad. We all change with time.

If PF had been around 140 years ago, what do you think might have happened to Nikola Tesla?

Likes dextercioby and symbolipoint
If he were around today, he might join the band AC/DC.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, anorlunda, Ivan Seeking and 2 others
anorlunda said:
If PF had been around 140 years ago, what do you think might have happened to Nikola Tesla?
I guess he would have been kicked off quickly. PF is clearly not for some personalities, which makes the demise of prolific posters interesting.

Ivan Seeking said:
Where would we be without the oompa-loompas of science? Where the noble, semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream?

• Haha
Likes cnh1995, Hamiltonian and Ivan Seeking
caz said:
...with a line through their name.

Aha, I wondered what that meant, thanks. Maybe their avatar should be replaced with a little tombstone as a stark warning about the perils of oompa-loompa-ism on PF.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, PhDeezNutz and PeroK
Sometimes members ask for their accounts to be suspended, if they want to quit and not be tempted to rejoin.

Office_Shredder said:
Sometimes members ask for their accounts to be suspended, if they want to quit and not be tempted to rejoin.
Those names turn black and linkless.

caz said:
Generally you will not see the problematic posts that led to the ban (temporary, or 2nd temporary or permanent) since they are deleted fairly quickly by the Mentors. It's hard for you all to know what has happened to cause the ban. When in doubt (or concern), please feel free to PM a Mentor that you trust and ask about it. If there are no privacy issues involved, we can try to let you know more about what happened.
Ivan Seeking said:
Ouch +1

• Haha
  • Love
Likes dlgoff, morrobay and Ivan Seeking
berkeman said:
Generally you will not see the problematic posts that led to the ban (temporary, or 2nd temporary or permanent) since they are deleted fairly quickly by the Mentors. It's hard for you all to know what has happened to cause the ban. When in doubt (or concern), please feel free to PM a Mentor that you trust and ask about it. If there are no privacy issues involved, we can try to let you know more about what happened.
My question is more general. Are the mentors surprised when this happens or do they see it coming for these prolific posters? What is the ratio of surprising to not-surprising banned prolific posters?

caz said:
My question is more general. Are the mentors surprised when this happens or do they see it coming for these prolific posters? What is the ratio of surprising to not-surprising banned prolific posters?
Hmm, that's a harder question. We honesly agonize over problematic posters that we think have good potential here. There have been fairly heated Mentor debates over some users, but in the end we need to reach a consensus to take actions.

With most problematic users, their behavior is fairly obvious from the beginning (even if you don't see it because of the deleted posts). With some users, we try fairly hard to help them get past the problematic behaviours, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I'll limit my comments to that for right now. Well, I'll add that dealing with problematic real savants is even more difficult. Sigh

Likes Frabjous
Vanadium 50 said:
Where would we be without the oompa-loompas of science? Where the noble, semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream?
I don't know, Sheldon. And I never say that!

berkeman said:
we try fairly hard to help them get past the problematic behaviours, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
+1

caz said:
I guess he would have been kicked off quickly.
No. Not quickly. I think you missed my point.

Tesla started off as a prolific and brilliant engineer. He could have been a star on PF. But then Tesla changed. He went off the rails on junk science stuff. If he was banned it would be with great reluctance because of his good history. My point is that happens to some people in real life; good at first but turn bad later.

Likes symbolipoint and Frabjous
I don't have statistics, but if we are talking about 1000 or more posts then the users asking to be banned might be more common than regular bans. Both are rare. Problematic users who can't change their posting behavior rarely make it to that point.
caz said:
Those names turn black and linkless.
That's a deletion of the account, which is another option.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
Hmm, that's a harder question. We honesly agonize over problematic posters that we think have good potential here. There have been fairly heated Mentor debates over some users, but in the end we need to reach a consensus to take actions.

With most problematic users, their behavior is fairly obvious from the beginning (even if you don't see it because of the deleted posts). With some users, we try fairly hard to help them get past the problematic behaviours, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I'll limit my comments to that for right now. Well, I'll add that dealing with problematic real savants is even more difficult. Sigh
Some new users don't appreciate how important the rules are and get offended when they are pointed out. Personal theories a big one and unverified references another.
A new user would not see that as much of an issue as obvious inappropriate language/behaviour on other sites.
Re very smart posters...
A straight A student first year of A levels completed and two out of his three subject teachers are pushing for Oxbridge entrance. 17, hormones and ego running wild.
Joins pf because he has some thoughts on the origins of the universe after reading Krauss 'a universe from nothing.' Speed reads pf rules and runs into cosmology section.
Phinds is about. Vanadium 50 has ran out of coffee, tetchy.
He posts...
The horror...

• Haha
  • Love
Likes phinds, dlgoff, CalcNerd and 8 others
Ivan Seeking said:

Vanadium 50 said:
It's fine, if the physicists are mean to us we can always just not hire/fund them.

Likes dlgoff and PhDeezNutz
anorlunda said:
It is surprising and it is sad. We all change with time.

I'm not so sure. It's my impression that the Cult of Tesla isn't well in phase with Tesla's actual work.

Likes Bystander
caz said:
PF is clearly not for some personalities, which makes the demise of prolific posters interesting.
I would not say "interesting" so much as "tragic." We have lost some of our best contributors due to the action of the Mentors.

• Skeptical
Likes dlgoff
Somehow that sounds like "The professor flunked me."

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, NTL2009, Tom.G and 1 other person

1. Will consistently posting on PhysicsForums increase my chances of being kicked off?

No, the number of posts does not directly correlate to being kicked off PhysicsForums. It is the quality and appropriateness of the posts that are taken into consideration.

2. Is there a specific post count limit that will result in being kicked off?

No, there is no set post count limit for being kicked off PhysicsForums. Each case is evaluated individually based on the content of the posts.

3. Can I be kicked off PhysicsForums for having a high post count?

Having a high post count alone will not result in being kicked off PhysicsForums. However, if the posts violate the forum guidelines, it may lead to a warning or suspension.

4. Will my post count reset if I am kicked off and allowed to return?

No, your post count will remain the same even if you are kicked off and allowed to return to PhysicsForums.

5. Can I appeal a decision to be kicked off based on my post count?

Yes, you can appeal a decision to be kicked off based on your post count. However, the decision will ultimately be based on the content of your posts and how they align with the forum guidelines.