Will a break from Calc hurt me?

• Thread starter Codyt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, the speaker is a freshman at a small university in South Carolina studying physics. They passed the Calculus I AP test but due to scheduling issues, they will have to take Statistics in the fall instead of Calculus II. They are wondering if this break in Calculus will put them at a disadvantage compared to other students. They also ask for recommendations for a Business Administration Minor to go along with their Physics Major. Other speakers reassure them that with self-review and extra studying, they should be fine in Calculus II and suggest starting on it early.
Codyt
Ok, in about a month I will be a freshman at a small university in South Carolina studying physics. I just got found out that I passed that Calculus I AP test so my next class in college should be Calculus II, but due to some major scheduling issues I will not be able to take Calculus II until the Spring semester and will instead be in Statistics for the fall. Will this break in Calculus put me at a large disadvantage to students who take it one semester after the next?

On a side note, does anyone recommend a Business Administration Minor to go along with my Physics Major? FYI I will already be getting a math minor due to the math classes I already have to take for my major.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sure, you'll forget some stuff but it'll come back with practice. Just do some self review a bit before the class, and with a little extra studying after the class starts I'm sure you'll be fine.

Pick up a problems book and do problems every now and then, it wouldn't hurt to get started on calc2 either.

Thanks for your quick replies.

I can assure you that taking a break from Calculus will not hurt you in the long run. While it may seem like a disadvantage at first, there are many ways to stay sharp in math during your break. You can review your Calculus notes and practice problems on your own, or even consider taking an online course or attending a workshop to refresh your skills. Additionally, taking Statistics in the fall will also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in the field of physics.

In terms of your minor, it ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. A Business Administration minor can provide you with a well-rounded education and open up opportunities in the business world, while a math minor can enhance your analytical and quantitative skills. I recommend exploring both options and considering how they align with your future plans.

Remember, college is a time for learning and growth. Don't worry too much about taking a break from Calculus - focus on making the most out of your classes and experiences, and you will be well-prepared for your future endeavors.

Related to Will a break from Calc hurt me?

1. What are the potential consequences of taking a break from Calc?

Taking a break from Calc can result in a loss of momentum and understanding of the material. It may also make it more challenging to catch up with the rest of the class and stay on track with the course curriculum.

2. Will taking a break from Calc affect my overall grade in the course?

It is possible that taking a break from Calc could have a negative impact on your grade, as you may miss important material and fall behind in your studies. However, this ultimately depends on how well you use your break to refresh and catch up on the material upon your return.

3. Can I still be successful in Calc if I take a break?

Yes, it is possible to be successful in Calc even if you take a break. However, it may require extra effort and dedication to catch up on missed material and get back into the swing of things. It is important to communicate with your instructor and seek additional help if needed.

4. How long of a break is too long for Calc?

The length of a break that is considered too long for Calc may vary depending on the individual and their learning style. However, it is generally recommended to not take a break longer than a few weeks in order to minimize the potential negative impact on your understanding and progress in the course.

5. Are there any benefits to taking a break from Calc?

Yes, there can be benefits to taking a break from Calc. It can allow you to recharge and come back to the material with a fresh perspective. It can also give you time to focus on other subjects or responsibilities. However, it is important to use your break wisely and not neglect your studies for too long.