Wikipedia.org -- Protons captured by neutral gas atoms?

In summary: This means that the number of free protons that bind to electrons is not a one to one ratio. In summary, the statement from Wikipedia discusses how at low temperatures, free protons can bind to electrons and form protonated atoms. These atoms remain protons and can be collected under the right conditions. The number of free protons that bind to electrons is not a one to one ratio, as hydrogen in chemical compounds typically shares two electrons with the atom it is bound to.
Mr Tompkins
A quote from wikipedia:

"At sufficiently low temperatures, free protons will bind to electrons. However, the character of such bound protons does not change, and they remain protons. A fast proton moving through matter will slow by interactions with electrons and nuclei, until it is captured by the electron cloud of an atom. The result is a protonated atom, which is a chemical compound of hydrogen."

I found the above statement in my quest to answer my question "Can a neutral gas atom attract, or otherwise collect protons?"

If I read the statement correctly, perhaps under the right conditions, protons could be collected.

Have I interpreted the statement correctly?

A sufficiently low temperature might be on the order of ________ degrees K?

Are the number of the free protons that bind to the electrons a one to one ratio? With just the outer shell? The whole cloud? Or perhaps the number is higher with some other limiting factor?

Thank you,

The ever curious Mr Tompkins

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Tompkins said:
If I read the statement correctly, perhaps under the right conditions, protons could be collected.
Right.
Mr Tompkins said:
A sufficiently low temperature might be on the order of ________ degrees K?
Everything that leaves the collecting material solid is fine.
Even on the surface of sun, most protons have an electron.
Mr Tompkins said:
Are the number of the free protons that bind to the electrons a one to one ratio?
Hydrogen in chemical compounds usually shares two electrons with the atom it is bound to, and those bonds happen with the outermost electrons.

Related to Wikipedia.org -- Protons captured by neutral gas atoms?

1. What is Wikipedia.org?

Wikipedia.org is a free, online encyclopedia that contains user-generated content on a wide range of topics. It is one of the most popular reference websites on the internet, with millions of articles in multiple languages.

2. What are protons?

Protons are subatomic particles that carry a positive charge and are found in the nucleus of an atom. They are one of the building blocks of matter and are essential for chemical reactions and the stability of atoms.

3. How are protons captured by neutral gas atoms?

Protons can be captured by neutral gas atoms through a process called ionization, where an electron is removed from the gas atom, leaving it with a positive charge. The positively charged proton is then attracted to the negatively charged gas atom and becomes captured.

4. Why is it important to study protons captured by neutral gas atoms?

Studying protons captured by neutral gas atoms can provide valuable insights into the properties of atoms and molecules, as well as the interactions between them. This research can also have practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and energy production.

5. What other information can be found on Wikipedia.org about protons captured by neutral gas atoms?

Wikipedia.org has a variety of articles and resources on protons, neutral gas atoms, and the process of ionization. These include information on the history of the study of protons, the different types of neutral gas atoms, and the various methods used to capture protons. Additionally, there may be links to related topics and further reading materials.