Wide bandgap semiconductor -- why higher temperature tolerance?

In summary, the wider the bandgap of a semiconductor, the harder it is for electrons to be thermally excited from the valence band to the conduction band. This means that wider bandgaps have higher temperature tolerance and can achieve higher frequencies. This is because silicon, which has a narrow bandgap, is currently used in most integrated devices due to its high thermal properties. Additionally, if the thermal coefficient of a semiconductor is higher than that of silicon, it could potentially achieve even higher frequencies due to its wider bandgap.
ceeeejay
I was wondering if anyone knows the relationship with temperature and frequency tuning in wide bandgap semiconductors. I just want to know why wider bandgaps have higher temperature tolerance and why does that mean high frequencies can be achieved? Explanation with formulas would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know any formulas offhand but I can tell you that if the bandgap is larger, then it is harder to thermally excite electrons from the valence band to the conduction band. I don't know how that relates to frequencies though.

gckaufman said:
I don't know any formulas offhand but I can tell you that if the bandgap is larger, then it is harder to thermally excite electrons from the valence band to the conduction band. I don't know how that relates to frequencies though.
well silicon are currently used in most integrated devices due to its high thermal properties. i was wondering if the thermal coefficient of semiconductors were higher than that of silicon would that mean it would be able to achieve higher frequencies due to its wider bandgap?

Related to Wide bandgap semiconductor -- why higher temperature tolerance?

1. What is a wide bandgap semiconductor?

A wide bandgap semiconductor is a type of material that has a larger energy gap between the valence and conduction bands, which allows it to have a higher breakdown voltage and operate at higher temperatures compared to traditional semiconductors.

2. Why is temperature tolerance important for semiconductors?

Temperature tolerance is important for semiconductors because it affects their performance and reliability. Higher temperatures can cause traditional semiconductors to break down or operate less efficiently, while wide bandgap semiconductors can maintain their performance at higher temperatures, making them more suitable for high-temperature applications.

3. What are the benefits of using wide bandgap semiconductors?

Wide bandgap semiconductors have several benefits, including higher breakdown voltage, higher operating temperature range, and higher power density. They also have faster switching speeds and lower energy losses, making them ideal for use in power electronics, high-temperature sensors, and other applications that require high performance in harsh environments.

4. How do wide bandgap semiconductors achieve higher temperature tolerance?

Wide bandgap semiconductors achieve higher temperature tolerance through their wider bandgap, which allows them to operate at higher voltages without breaking down. They also have stronger bonds between atoms, making them more stable and less likely to degrade at high temperatures.

5. What are some examples of wide bandgap semiconductors?

Some examples of wide bandgap semiconductors include silicon carbide (SiC), gallium nitride (GaN), and diamond. These materials have bandgaps that are wider than traditional semiconductors like silicon, allowing them to withstand higher temperatures and operate more efficiently in high-power applications.