Why won't the bright spot in my Michelson Interferometer turn dark?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of not being able to achieve a dark spot in the middle of a Michelson Interferometer despite the two beams having equal intensity. Suggestions are made to use a compensator plate and ensure the splitter is 50-50, but the issue still persists. The conversation ends with uncertainty about the cause of the problem.
Maurader
Hi all,

I've made a Michelson Interferometer with 635 HeNe, and I get nice, contrasty fringes. I have one problem - I cannot get the bright spot in the middle to turn dark! The intensity it has is like bright and brighter, but never dark. Any ideas why? The intensity of the two beams are approximately equal.

Thanks,

Maurader

Physics news on Phys.org
Maurader said:
The intensity of the two beams are approximately equal.
If you really want the dark places to be completely dark, then you must have exactly the same intensity for the two beams that combine. Are you using a compensator plate to even out the loss that one of the beams encounters through the splitter? Is your splitter 50-50? What is the tolerance of the splitter's ratio?

What I find strange is that my rings have extremely good bright/dark contrast, and this problem of bright/brighter only occurs at the central spot.

I am using a cubic beam splitter, and have measured the power intensities of the two beams to be almost identical (.30 mW and .33 mW)

I don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

Related to Why won't the bright spot in my Michelson Interferometer turn dark?

1. What is a Michelson Interferometer?

A Michelson Interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure small changes in the position of objects by splitting a beam of light into two paths, then recombining them to create an interference pattern.

2. How does a Michelson Interferometer work?

The instrument uses a beam splitter to divide a beam of light into two paths, one of which is reflected off a fixed mirror and the other off a movable mirror. The two beams are then recombined, and the resulting interference pattern is observed. Changes in the position of the movable mirror can be measured by analyzing the changes in the interference pattern.

3. What is the purpose of a Michelson Interferometer?

Michelson Interferometers are used in a variety of scientific applications, including measuring small changes in position, detecting small changes in refractive index, and testing the stability of laser systems.

4. Who invented the Michelson Interferometer?

The Michelson Interferometer was invented by Albert A. Michelson in 1881. He used the instrument to measure the speed of light, for which he received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1907.

5. How accurate is a Michelson Interferometer?

The accuracy of a Michelson Interferometer depends on various factors, such as the quality of the optics and the stability of the instrument. However, it is capable of measuring changes in position down to a fraction of a wavelength of light, making it a highly precise instrument.