Why why why is Potential Energy equal to Kinetic Energy in this problem?

In summary: This problem has to do with the law of conservation of energy. The girl is swinging and at a certain point her potential energy is zero and her kinetic energy is maximum. The problem asks you to find out what the mechanical energy is. You use the law of conservation of energy to figure out that the energy lost to friction is 24.685 Joules.
riseofphoenix
Why why why is Potential Energy equal to Kinetic Energy in this problem??

A 31.0 kg child on a 3.00 m long swing is released from rest?
when the ropes of the the swing make an angle of 28.0° with the vertical

(a) Neglecting friction, find the child's speed at the lowest position.____m/s

potential energy = kinetic energy
mgh = 1/2 mv2
0.35 * 9.8 = 0.5 v2
v = √(2*9.8*0.35)
v = 2.62 m/s (without friction)

^^^^^^^

Why did they set potential energy equal to kinetic energy? I don't understand :(

Physics news on Phys.org

riseofphoenix said:
Why did they set potential energy equal to kinetic energy? I don't understand :(
Mechanical energy is conserved:

KEA + PEA = KEB + PEB

Let A be the highest point, where the swing is released. Thus, KEA = 0.

If you measure PE from the lowest point (point B), then PEB = 0.

That gives you:

PEA = KEB

Doc Al said:
Mechanical energy is conserved:

KEA + PEA = KEB + PEB

Let A be the highest point, where the swing is released. Thus, KEA = 0.

If you measure PE from the lowest point (point B), then PEB = 0.

That gives you:

PEA = KEB

What do you mean by "mechanical energy" though?

riseofphoenix said:
What do you mean by "mechanical energy" though?
Mechanical energy means the sum of KE + PE.

I assume you've been studying conservation of energy?

Yes but I'm a little confused...ok so...

The girl is swinging.

When the swing is at an angle of 28 degrees, (slow mo) she stops, and at that point you have potential energy...

When the swing moves forward again you no longer have potential energy (PE = 0), but this time, you have Kinetic energy...So, essentially, this problem deals with the law of conservation of energy, right? which is:

PEA + [STRIKE]KEA [/STRIKE]= [STRIKE]PEB[/STRIKE] + KEB

So that's why, PEA = KEB, right?
Which is,

mgh = (1/2)mv2

Right?

If so, then what do I did with the angle (theta) that they gave me? Where does that go in the equation above?

Last edited:

riseofphoenix said:
So, essentially, this problem deals with the law of conservation of energy, right? which is:

PEA + [STRIKE]KEA [/STRIKE]= [STRIKE]PEB[/STRIKE] + KEB

So that's why, PEA = KEB, right?
Right.

Which is,

(1/2)kx2 = (1/2)mv2

Right?
No, not right. The potential energy here is gravitational PE (mgh) not spring PE (which is 1/2kx2). No springs in this problem!
If so, then what do I did with the angle (theta) that they gave me? Where does that go in the equation above?
Once you have the correct expression for PE, you'll need the angle to figure out the height of the initial position.

mgh(1 - cos 28) = (1/2)mv2

I looked that up :(
Now my question is, would it ALWAYS be h(1 - cos θ) whenever I have a problem like this?

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions - I'm just trying to figure out how these things relate to each other so that I can go about answering any question like this!

Part b says:

If the speed of the child at the lowest position is 2.30 m/s, what is the mechanical energy lost due to friction?

What they did:

KE @ 2.62 m/sec = (1/2)(31)(2.62)^2 = 106.68 J

KE @ 2.30 m/sec = (1/2)(31)(2.30)^2 = 81.995 J

Therefore, energy lost to friction = 106.68 - 81.995 = 24.685 J

^^^^^^

My question is, how did they know to just subtract KE with v=2.30 by KE with 2.62?

riseofphoenix said:

Now my question is, would it ALWAYS be h(1 - cos θ) whenever I have a problem like this?
That depends on just how 'like' the problem is, doesn't it? Get the concept: To find the change in gravitational PE, you may need to determine the change in height. By whatever means necessary.

riseofphoenix said:
My question is, how did they know to just subtract KE with v=2.30 by KE with 2.62?
They are really subtracting final energy from initial energy:

Initial Energy (at top) = Final Energy (at bottom) + Energy lost to friction

riseofphoenix said:

No, that comes from the geometry of the problem.

In general.. ΔPE = mgΔh

So you need to work out the change in height (Δh) using whatever information is given in the problem. You might have a similar problem where θ is specified differently. If in doubt make your own drawing.

Related to Why why why is Potential Energy equal to Kinetic Energy in this problem?

1. Why is it important to understand the concept of potential and kinetic energy?

Potential and kinetic energy are fundamental concepts in physics that are essential for understanding the behavior of objects in motion. They help explain why objects move, how they move, and how much energy is required for them to move.

2. What is potential energy and how is it related to kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The two are related because potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

3. How is potential energy calculated in this problem?

In this problem, potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. This formula applies to objects in a gravitational field, where potential energy is directly proportional to the height of the object.

4. Why is potential energy equal to kinetic energy in this problem?

In this problem, potential energy is equal to kinetic energy because of the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In this case, the potential energy of the object at the top of the hill is converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down the hill.

5. Can potential energy ever be greater than kinetic energy?

Yes, potential energy can be greater than kinetic energy in certain situations. For example, if an object is launched into the air, it will have a higher potential energy at the highest point of its trajectory before it starts to fall back to the ground. However, as the object falls, its potential energy will decrease and its kinetic energy will increase. At the bottom of its trajectory, its potential energy will be zero and its kinetic energy will be at its maximum.