Is the Concept of Zero Length Contraction Possible in Special Relativity?

In summary: The equations still apply to it. So in summary, the velocity of light (c) is the same in every reference frame and can be estimated by calculating the relative distance contraction based on the velocity of the frame. In the case of V=c or the photon's point of view, all distances contract to zero, meaning the photon is everywhere at the moment of its creation. This could suggest that c is infinite or that the transmission of light is instant, and this could only be possible through a direct change of charge or mass. However, from neither the photon's frame nor the universe's frame is c actually infinite, as it still takes the same amount of time to cross a distance as it would at 300,000 km/s. The equations
deda
In Einstein's SR the velocity of the light (c) is same in every referent frame. Let us for instance assume we don't know its exact value and try to estimate it. The relative distance suffers contractions depending on the velocity of the frame like this:
[tex]L=L_0\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}[/tex]
where L0 is the rest frame distance; L is the relativ contracted distance; V is the velocity of the frame.
But what if V=c or we have the photon's point of view?
Then every distance contracts to zero meaning that from the very instance of its creation the photon is already every where. This is only possible if c=infinity or the light transmition is instant. The c=infinity can only be result of direct change of charge(the wave nature) or direct change of the mass (the particle nature). If it happens then the changes affect the rest of the universe instantly.

What about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by deda
In Einstein's SR the velocity of the light (c) is same in every referent frame. Let us for instance assume we don't know its exact value and try to estimate it. The relative distance suffers contractions depending on the velocity of the frame like this:
[tex]L=L_0\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}[/tex]
where L0 is the rest frame distance; L is the relativ contracted distance; V is the velocity of the frame.
But what if V=c or we have the photon's point of view?
Then every distance contracts to zero meaning that from the very instance of its creation the photon is already every where. This is only possible if c=infinity or the light transmition is instant.

The universe contracts to zero length from the frame of the photon meaning that the photon takes zero time to cross the universe at c. Zero distance divided by any velocity equals zero time, so c need not be infinite.

On the other hand, from the universe's frame, its distance doesn't contract and the photon takes just the amount of time to cross any distance as it would need traveling at 300,000 km/s, so again, c is not infinite.

So from neither frame do you have to consider c as infinite.

I think we should not forget that if length contracts the way it does, the time sequence necessary to pass that length delates this way:
[tex]T=\frac{T_0}{\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
So the if V -> c then T=infinity.
Now if we would try to calculate c as L/T=dx/dt then c=0/infinity.
This is the worst case of undefined number cause it's neither 0 neither 3E8km/s nor infinity. A totaly undefined number.

If it is so in photon's frame then it's so in every frame.

correct me if I am wrong but i thought the equations that describe length contraction and time dilation are only for use for matter not for the light itself which already is with c speed.

Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
correct me if I am wrong but i thought the equations that describe length contraction and time dilation are only for use for matter not for the light itself which already is with c speed.
It applies to every object in motion.I don't see why a photon would be special.

Related to Is the Concept of Zero Length Contraction Possible in Special Relativity?

1. What is zero length contraction in Special Relativity?

Zero length contraction in Special Relativity (SR) refers to the phenomenon where an object's length appears to decrease to zero when moving at the speed of light. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, where the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does zero length contraction occur?

In SR, time and space are relative and dependent on the observer's frame of reference. When an object moves at high speeds, its length appears shorter to a stationary observer due to time dilation and length contraction. At the speed of light, the object appears to have zero length in the direction of motion.

3. Does zero length contraction violate the laws of physics?

No, zero length contraction does not violate any laws of physics. It is a consequence of the principles of relativity, which have been extensively tested and proven to be accurate. However, it is a concept that may seem counterintuitive since it goes against our everyday experience.

4. Is zero length contraction a real physical phenomenon?

Yes, zero length contraction is a real physical phenomenon that has been observed and verified through experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. It is also a crucial factor in many modern technologies, such as GPS satellites, where precise measurements of time and distance are necessary.

5. Can we experience zero length contraction in our daily lives?

No, we cannot experience zero length contraction in our daily lives. It only becomes noticeable at extremely high speeds close to the speed of light, which is not achievable by any object or person in our daily lives. However, we can observe its effects through experiments and technological applications.