Why Waves Don't Freeze: Exploring the Science Behind Freezing Water

• Thread starter CarbonWater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary: The motion of waves wants to break up ice. Meanwhile, slushy, icing water wants to suppress waves. They don't go together so well.
CarbonWater
Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that waves of water do not freeze in wave form. Doesn't water freeze from the top down? Why don't waves freeze?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wave is just the motion of fluid. If it freezes it means it is not moving.

Curl said:
Wave is just the motion of fluid. If it freezes it means it is not moving.

1) Yes, a frozen wave-like shape, even if it were formed, would not be a wave.

2) Water particles (in a wave) move mostly up and down. In that way surface temperature, when a wave is present, is slightly higher than it would be in the absence of a wave. Sooner or later water freezes but the surface does not have the shape of a wave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I guess my question should have been, "why doesn't water have the shape of a wave when it freezes?"

CarbonWater said:
Thanks. I guess my question should have been, "why doesn't water have the shape of a wave when it freezes?"

Because freezing is not an instant. Freezing process destroys wave motion gradually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in a wave, particle motion ensures mixing of warmth, so that if anyone molecule gets cold, it'll eventually get bumped by a neighbor. Similarly with just flowing water (and not necessarily a wave), turbulence provides mixing: you either freeze all the water, or none of it, because the water won't let anyone of its parts be a weak link (if any individual molecule falls, its comrades will bump it back up at the expense of their own speed). Of course, the downside is that by attacking just one part of the turbulent water with a cold spell, you strike at all the water and the temperature of the entire river goes down, and not just part of a river. So for a total freeze of the entire river I don't think it would matter if the river were moving or not.

Anyways, turbulence is the only answer I can think of that doesn't violate relativity.

CarbonWater said:
Why don't waves freeze?

Part of your confusion stems from a misunderstanding of what freezing actually is. Freezing does not occur instantly over large areas--despite some bad Hollywood movies to the contrary. It occurs on icing nuclei and spreads more or less radially out from there. This process takes time and generally results in the remaining water increasing in temperature (enthalpy of fusion).

There is no single freezing point of atmospheric water. The freezing point of atmospheric water is somewhat dependent upon the ambient pressure, although scholars do not agree exactly how or why. In addition, it is strongly dependent upon the nature and abundance of solutes and the presence and abundance of icing nuclei. In the free atmosphere, liquid water is found at temperatures all the way down to roughly 231 K (-42°C). It is generally stable at these supercooled temperatures, with droplets undergoing collisions, coalescence, fragmentation, strong winds, and vigorous mixing without freezing.

On the other hand, ice has been observed to form on organic proteins inside plant tissues (away from the free atmosphere) with extremely strong icing nuclei propensities at temperatures up to 277 K (4°C). Under pressure (greater than atmospheric pressures), it can form stable clathrates at temperatures up to 291 K (18°C). These clathrates are essentially ice crystal structures (something like "Bucky-balls") surrounding molecules of some substance such as methane, propane, butane, and the like.

Contrary to popular belief, both water and ice are extremely complex substances and are not at all well understood. Check out the superb bibliography prepared by Martin Chaplin of London South Bank University at http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/index2.html

Perhaps you can think of it this way: The motions of waves want to break up ice. Meanwhile, slushy, icing water wants to suppress waves. They don't go together so well.

olivermsun said:
Meanwhile, slushy, icing water wants to suppress waves

1) How so? Slushy water is lighter than pure liquid water. Theoretically, it should form even larger waves when subject to the same forces. The liquid water between the particles of ice acts as a lubricant, and tends to minimize any tessellation of ice crystals.

2) As one who has sailed the Davis Strait to Thule and back, I can personally testify to having seen very large slushy waves. Any cold-water sailor can probably say the same.

3) Writer's Hint: You will gain more respect from your scientific readers if you avoid anthropomorphic expressions such as "wants to" and substitute more dispassionate terms such as "tends to" in your explanations.

klimatos said:
1) How so? Slushy water is lighter than pure liquid water. Theoretically, it should form even larger waves when subject to the same forces. The liquid water between the particles of ice acts as a lubricant, and tends to minimize any tessellation of ice crystals.
Well, since you mention lubricant: given a choice between:
- a volume containing solid particles (ice) supended in lubricant (water), and
- a volume containing nothing but lubricant (water),
which do you think will have less friction?

What is the risk of tesselation occurring in a pure liquid? (Hint: none.)

klimatos said:
2) As one who has sailed the Davis Strait to Thule and back, I can personally testify to having seen very large slushy waves. Any cold-water sailor can probably say the same.

Which tells us nothing. (Perhaps the waves might have been even larger if it had been all liquid.)

klimatos said:
3) Writer's Hint: You will gain more respect from your scientific readers if you avoid anthropomorphic expressions such as "wants to" and substitute more dispassionate terms such as "tends to" in your explanations.
Bah, nonsense. We're all intelligent here, you can judge that by the quality of his answers. We know what he means and that's not an uncommon shorthand.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Bah, nonsense. We're all intelligent here, you can judge that by the quality of his answers. We know what he means and that's not an uncommon shorthand.
Can't agree with you entirely there, Dave.
It may be shorthand to you, 'cos you know about these things, but many people (readers of these erudite ramblings who know no better) take such statements almost as gospel and it can only get them in a muddle. There's always a reasonable way of stating things without anthromorphising. (That is if it's actually possible to state them at all.)

"Nature abhors a vacuum" wouldn't be a good explanation for anything, nowadays, would it?

Here, fixed it for those who find it confusing!
olivermsun said:
The motions of waves [STRIKE]want[/STRIKE] tend to break up ice. Meanwhile, slushy, icing water [STRIKE]wants[/STRIKE] tends to suppress waves. They don't go together so well.

DaveC426913 said:
What is the risk of tesselation occurring in a pure liquid? (Hint: none.)

I assume you misspoke in haste. Or,are you telling me that a pure liquid cannot form crystals of the solid phase, and that these crystals cannot thenceforth propagate themselves naturally? And no cop-outs by saying that no real-world liquid is pure. Let us confine our discussion to commonly-accepted laboratory standards of purity.

I just want to point out that contrary to some of the posts earlier, if water could freeze into the shape of a wave, it would still be a wave. Waves needn't be moving through space. They can be stationary.

My initial reaction was that moving water has higher thermal conductivity than non-moving water, so that as long as some parts of the water are warm it's hard to freeze other parts.

Adding things like solutes will cause the freezing point to go down (colligative properties), but non-moving water and moving water should have the same solute concentration, so that shouldn't create a difference.

So the only thing left is to consider nucleation. Does moving water disrupt the nucleation process on some impurity? What impurity are the ice crystals nucleating on? Salt?

In any case it seems to me that if anything, moving water should be easier to freeze, because the impurity will get to collide more with water molecules due to turbulence, and if it can find a particularly slow molecule, it can start nucleating ice.

klimatos said:
I assume you misspoke in haste. Or,are you telling me that a pure liquid cannot form crystals of the solid phase, and that these crystals cannot thenceforth propagate themselves naturally? And no cop-outs by saying that no real-world liquid is pure. Let us confine our discussion to commonly-accepted laboratory standards of purity.

Let me rephrase:

"What is the risk of tesselation of a pure liquid?" Zero. (There's no tesselation where there are no solid particles.)

You were claiming that a slush should make higher waves than a liquid, yes?

Quote:
The liquid water between the particles of ice acts as a lubricant, and tends to minimize any tessellation of ice crystals.

You're claiming that the friction in the slush would be lowered because the particles would be lubricated by liquid, preventing them from tesselating (i.e. locking together), yes?

Well how would that make it less frictive than if there were no solid particles at all?

It only stands to reason that a liquid is going to have less friction than a slush of solid and liquid. Thus, liquid waves will slosh higher than slush waves.

boneh3ad said:
I just want to point out that contrary to some of the posts earlier, if water could freeze into the shape of a wave, it would still be a wave. Waves needn't be moving through space. They can be stationary.

A "standing wave" is not the same phenomenon as a "wave." The net energy flow is zero, in both directions.

1. Why don't waves freeze in cold temperatures?

Waves do not freeze in cold temperatures because they are constantly moving and have a high energy state. This movement and energy prevent the water molecules from bonding together and forming ice crystals. Additionally, the constant motion of waves breaks up any ice that may try to form.

2. What is the science behind waves not freezing?

The science behind waves not freezing is due to a combination of factors. The first is the high energy state of waves, which prevents water molecules from bonding together and forming ice crystals. The second is the constant movement of waves, which breaks up any ice that may try to form.

3. Can waves freeze in extremely cold temperatures?

Yes, waves can freeze in extremely cold temperatures, but it is rare. When the air temperature drops below freezing and the water is still, it is possible for waves to freeze. However, this typically only occurs in very cold and calm conditions, and the ice usually forms on the surface of the water rather than on the moving waves.

4. How do waves stay in motion even in freezing temperatures?

Waves stay in motion even in freezing temperatures because they are primarily driven by wind, not temperature. As long as there is wind, waves will continue to move and maintain their high energy state, preventing them from freezing.

5. Why do lakes and ponds freeze over, but not the ocean?

Lakes and ponds have a smaller volume of water and are more susceptible to freezing because they have less energy to prevent ice formation. The ocean, on the other hand, has a much larger volume and is constantly being mixed by wind and currents, keeping the water in a high energy state and preventing it from freezing.