Why water heated with electric heater remains hot for long time?

In summary, the electric element in a water heater takes a longer time to heat up than a gas burner. This is because the electric element has less thermal capacity.
siri.satyam
Why water heated with electric heater remains hot for long time than water heated by gas stove

Engineering news on Phys.org
Two main reasons.
1. The water tank is usually well insulated (lagged).
2. The quantity in a hot water tank is much larger than the quantity in a kettle. Because the surface area (for heat loss) is much less per litre in a big tank, temperature falls at a lower rate.

There is one way in which using a kettle / pot may be better value, though. When you 'run' the water for several seconds from a hot water tap, before it gets warm enough to use, the pipes need to get full of hot water (possibly several litres). This may well cool down before you need any more so you will have wasted the energy used to heat it. If you just heat up 2l of water in a kettle and use it all quickly, there is no such loss.

Because the heater element take longer to cool down, the pot have direct contact and it keep heating the water for a little while. For a gas burner, the moment you turn off the gas, no more direct contact with the pot and so it cool faster.

That's why when I cook noodles, I turn off the electric burner a minute before the noodle is ready and let the remaining heat keep cooking without using any power...I am cheap.

And how much longer does the electric element take to heat up. One needs to address the relevant factors.

Well, being stuck with the electric burner, you make the best out of it. I am a Chinese, when I really cook, I have my 60,000BTU giant propane burner to cook Chinese food. The frame has to wrap around the wok, food has to catch on fire to frame out to get the essence of Chinese saute cooking!:smile:

But still, with the big burner, once you turn it off, it immediately stop cooking.

Steel (the wok) doesn't have a particularly high specific heat and the essence of chinese cooking seems to be to cook small quantities at a time. So there isn't a lot of thermal capacity there. Any water in the wok that is above 100C will boil off (without a lid) and that uses a lot of latent heat. These are all good reasons why the temperature drops fairly fast.
Contrast this with a good old European Stew in which there is a large quantity of liquid in a covered pot. It will stay cooking for quite some time once the heat is removed.

Related to Why water heated with electric heater remains hot for long time?

1. Why does water heated with an electric heater remain hot for a long time?

Electric heaters work by converting electrical energy into heat energy, which is then transferred to the water. The water molecules absorb this heat energy and become more energetic, causing the temperature of the water to rise. This process continues until the water reaches a boiling point. Once the water is heated, it takes time for the heat energy to dissipate and for the water to cool down, which is why it remains hot for a long time.

2. How does an electric heater keep the water hot for a long time?

An electric heater has a thermostat that regulates the temperature of the water. When the temperature of the water drops below a certain level, the thermostat signals the heater to turn on and heat the water again. This cycle continues until the water reaches the desired temperature, and the heater turns off. This mechanism helps to keep the water hot for a longer period of time.

3. Is there a difference between an electric heater and a gas heater in terms of how long they keep the water hot?

Both electric and gas heaters work by heating the water, and the principle behind them is the same. However, electric heaters tend to retain heat for a longer time compared to gas heaters. This is because electric heaters are better insulated, and they have a thermostat that maintains a constant temperature, while gas heaters may experience some heat loss due to the flame and lack of insulation.

4. Can an electric heater overheat the water?

Yes, if an electric heater is left on for an extended period of time, it can overheat the water. This can be dangerous as it can cause the water to boil and potentially lead to scalding or even cause the electric heater to malfunction. It is important to monitor the temperature of the water and turn off the heater when it reaches the desired temperature.

5. How can I make the water stay hot for longer without using an electric heater?

One way to make water stay hot for longer without using an electric heater is to use a thermos or insulated bottle. These containers are designed to keep liquids hot for a longer period of time by trapping the heat and preventing heat loss. Additionally, using a lid while heating the water can also help to retain heat. Lastly, adding a small amount of salt to the water can increase its boiling point, making it stay hot for a longer time.