Why Use Position Vectors: Exploring Benefits of Different Coordinates

• I
  • Thread starter Ahmed Elhossiny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of position vectors in physics and how they differ from Cartesian coordinates. While both forms contain the same information, position vectors allow for equations to be expressed independently of any particular coordinate system. This makes them useful for describing the laws of physics. Additionally, the conversation mentions how other coordinate systems can be more natural and simpler to use in certain cases. Vectors are necessary in accurately describing nature, as they can express both direction and magnitude, unlike scalars which only represent magnitude.
Ahmed Elhossiny
Hello there,
get the notion of position vectors for a particle, but why we use it instead of cartisean coordinates XYZ? What info does the vectors tell us that the cartisean coordinates doesn't tell us?
So if we say a point has coordinates x=2, y=3, z=5

We say its position vector is
r=i 2 + j 3 + k 5

What's the difference! I saw an article saying it's just another way of expressing the position

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, either form in your example has the same information. But an equation written in vector form is independent of any particular coordinate system. That makes them useful for expressing the laws of physics.

Likes Ahmed Elhossiny
pixel said:
Yes, either form in your example has the same information. But an equation written in vector form is independent of any particular coordinate system. That makes them useful for expressing the laws of physics.
Doesn't it depend on the X,Y and Z unit vectors? Even if I chose another coordinate system I should express it in terms of the first by (phi)?

Ahmed Elhossiny said:
Doesn't it depend on the X,Y and Z unit vectors? Even if I chose another coordinate system I should express it in terms of the first by (phi)?

You can always transform coordinates to get back to x, y and z. But in some cases, other coordinates are more natural, simpler and useful to apply.

The Cartesian coordinates of a vector is just one possible of infinitely many possibilities to express a vector according to a basis. But what if you consider the functions? They, too, form vector spaces. Or sequences? The concept of vectors simply restricts the view and methods to what is really needed: addition and stretching (compressing) without the need of one single basis to be used.

pixel said:
You can always transform coordinates to get back to x, y and z. But in some cases, other coordinates are more natural, simpler and useful to apply.
And that's not applicable in XYZ expression! That's why it's more useful

I always thought it has something to do with direction of movement :D turns out I am wrong

Thanks

fresh_42 said:
The Cartesian coordinates of a vector is just one possible of infinitely many possibilities to express a vector according to a basis. But what if you consider the functions? They, too, form vector spaces. Or sequences? The concept of vectors simply restricts the view and methods to what is really needed: addition and stretching (compressing) without the need of one single basis to be used.
Can you give me an example of how to express same vector in two cartisean coordinates expression?

The easiest way is to renumber the coordinates: ##(0,1)## in one coordinate system can be ##(1,0)## in another. Without telling everybody which orientation you use, it is of little help. But you could still say vertical or horizontal unit vector. And why Cartesian coordinates? Sometimes polar coordinates are far easier to handle. And you will have problems to define Cartesian coordinates on the space of all smooth functions on, say a sphere.

Vector's are needed mathematical concepts in physics I think (so in expressing nature).I mean it can't just be some coordinate transformation simplicty.

Think Force or even simpler case, velocity.If velocity would be just scaler, things would be very hard to express.The direction comes naturally these things.And of course we need a magnitude so simply we need a vector.You need vectors to desribe nature correctly.You have a displacement "vector" cause it describes the direction and also magnitude.Lets take a object at point (3,4,5).If you had just this info you can't tell which direction you are, maybe you come from (1,8,9) maybe ( 2,3,4).So a vector can describe the motion of a particle which that's why we use displacement "vector",then from there velocity etc.

1. Why are position vectors important in scientific research?

Position vectors are important because they allow us to represent the location of an object in a specific coordinate system. This is crucial in scientific research where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.

2. How do position vectors differ from other coordinate systems?

Position vectors differ from other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian or polar coordinates, in that they use a single point as the origin and a direction and magnitude to represent a position. This allows for more flexibility and accuracy in representing positions in three-dimensional space.

3. What are some advantages of using position vectors over other coordinate systems?

One advantage of using position vectors is that they can easily be used to represent positions in both two-dimensional and three-dimensional space. Additionally, they can be translated, rotated, and scaled without changing their magnitude, making them useful for complex calculations and simulations.

4. Can position vectors be used for both static and dynamic objects?

Yes, position vectors can be used for both static and dynamic objects. For static objects, the position vector will remain constant, while for dynamic objects, the position vector will change over time to represent the object's motion.

5. How can understanding position vectors benefit scientific experiments?

Understanding position vectors can benefit scientific experiments by allowing researchers to accurately track the position and movement of objects in space. This can lead to more precise data collection and analysis, ultimately leading to a better understanding of the phenomenon being studied.