Why Use Logarithms to Solve Trig Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a trigonometry problem with given values for sin (alpha) and c. The suggested method is to use a calculator to find the value of sin (alpha) and then use the given values to find the missing values using a calculator. The use of logarithms is also mentioned as a method to solve the problem, but it is not clear why this method is used.
mishek
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hi,

Can somebody please point me into a direction how to solve the attached trig problem?

First step, where can I find such values for sin (alpha)?Thanks.

Attachments

• Trig problem.jpg
    Trig problem.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
mishek said:
Hi,

Can somebody please point me into a direction how to solve the attached trig problem?

First step, where can I find such values for sin (alpha)?Thanks.

You'd use a calculator to find the value of [itex]\sin(\alpha)[/itex]. The rest of the information can be inferred by what you've already been given (and with the use of a calculator). For example, you can find a since you know c and [itex]\alpha[/itex], you can also find [itex]\beta[/itex] since you know [itex]\alpha[/itex], and hence you can finally find b since you know c and [itex]\beta[/itex].

Hi Mentallic,

Thanks for a quick reply.

I know I can use a calculator :), but I would like to know how to solve it in a manner that is given on a photo.

There must be some tables that I should use (i assume), but i don't know which one.

Also, the value of c in step II, where did that come from?

mishek said:
Hi Mentallic,

I know I can use a calculator :), but I would like to know how to solve it in a manner that is given on a photo.

There must be some tables that I should use (i assume), but i don't know which one.

On the right side they give the logarithms (to base 10) of the values.
For example ##\log_{10}(c)=\log_{10}(457)=2.65992...##

Likes mishek
mishek said:
Hi Mentallic,

It depends on how much accuracy you want. You can just google search "sine table" and you'll find plenty of tables that offer each degree from 0 to 90, but assuming you want more accuracy since you're given angles that involves minutes and seconds too, in the case of [itex]\alpha[/itex] personally, I'd be satisfied with approximating [itex]\alpha = 32^o40'15''[/itex] into [itex]\alpha \approx 32\frac{2}{3}^o[/itex] and just calculate [itex]\frac{1}{3}\sin(32^o)+\frac{2}{3}\sin(33^o)[/itex]. If this doesn't make sense for you, then have a look at linear interpolation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_table

mishek said:
I have no idea. The values in those boxes don't coincide with what the given values of c and alpha at the top were. I wouldn't dwell too heavily on it though since you can quite easily re-do that entire page for yourself with the correct values.

edit: Good catch
Samy_A said:

Likes mishek
Samy_A said:

Hi Samy_A, big thanks for the reply!

When I catch some time, i'll go in that direction and try to solve it myself.

But i am wondering, why use logarithms?

mishek said:
Hi Samy_A, big thanks for the reply!

When I catch some time, i'll go in that direction and try to solve it myself.

But i am wondering, why use logarithms?
That's how we solved this kind of problems when I was in high school many many years ago, just before calculators became ubiquitous. :wink:
We had tables that gave logarithms, the trigonometric values, their logarithms, ...
We used them to look up the values, and logarithms were used to convert multiplications into additions.

No idea why one would do it this way now.

Related to Why Use Logarithms to Solve Trig Problems?

What is a right triangle?

A right triangle is a triangle with one angle measuring exactly 90 degrees.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.

How do you find the missing side of a right triangle?

To find the missing side of a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, and tangent) depending on the information given.

What are the trigonometric ratios?

The trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to find the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit. It is used to visualize the values of trigonometric functions for any angle.