Why use i to represent y vector ?

In summary, when representing vectors in the plane, they are commonly written as v = xi + yj, where i and j are unit vectors. However, historically, quaternions were used to extend complex numbers into a 3D context, using a real component and i, j, and k imaginary components. This was later simplified to just using i, j, and k as basis vectors for vector methods. There has been a resurgence in quaternions due to their ability to handle rotations.
Frenemy90210
In mechanics, a vector is represented by complex number (x + i y). Is there a simple/intuitive explanation as to why the y component is multiplied by i , which is equal to square root of -1 ? ; In this case, did it have to be of value sqrt(-1) ? or is "i" used to keep x and y separate and not "mix" with each other ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
When representing complex numbers geometrically, the imaginary component points 90° from the real component. So if the x direction represents real, then the y direction represents imaginary. There are some neat things you can do with 2-D vectors, when representing them as complex numbers.

Frenemy90210 said:
In mechanics, a vector is represented by complex number (x + i y). Is there a simple/intuitive explanation as to why the y component is multiplied by i , which is equal to square root of -1 ? ; In this case, did it have to be of value sqrt(-1) ? or is "i" used to keep x and y separate and not "mix" with each other ?
I think it might be more common to represent vectors in the plane (two-dimensional vectors) in the form v = xi + yj. Here i and j are just unit vectors, having nothing to do with complex numbers. If your class is really representing vectors as complex numbers, it would be because the complex plane is isomorphic to the real plane. For example, the vector <2, 3> (or 2i + 3j) in the real plane corresponds to the complex number 2 + 3i in the complex plane.

Historically Hamilton tried to extend complex numbers into a 3D context and came up with quaternions which useda real component and i j and k imaginary components.

It had a lot going for it and was the basis for classical physics math. However some folks felt it was too complicated and developed vector methods dropping the real component and retaining the i j and k notation.

There’s been some resurgence in quaternions because they handle rotation aspects that vectors lost when they dropped the real component.

Wikipedia has an article on the history of quaternions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion

Last edited:
Frenemy90210 said:
In mechanics, a vector is represented by complex number (x + i y). Is there a simple/intuitive explanation as to why the y component is multiplied by i , which is equal to square root of -1 ? ; In this case, did it have to be of value sqrt(-1) ?
That is useful if rotations of vectors using complex multiplication are to be used.
or is "i" used to keep x and y separate and not "mix" with each other ?
Good point. That is useful in all cases. It is really x*1 + y*i, where 1 and i are the basis vectors that should never be mixed when added or subtracted. As complex numbers, they should only be related as the definition of complex multiplication specifies.

jedishrfu said:
Historically Hamilton tried to extend complex numbers into a 3D context and came up with quaternions which useda real component and i j and k imaginary components.

It had a lot going for it and was the basis for classical physics math. However some folks felt it was too complicated and developed vector methods dropping the real component and retaining the i j and k notation.

There’s been some resurgence in quaternions because they handle rotation ...

Here is a nice Numberphile video about quaternions.

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Why use i to represent y vector ?

1. What is the significance of using "i" to represent a vector?

Using "i" to represent a vector is a common mathematical convention that indicates the direction of the vector. In this case, "i" stands for the unit vector in the x-direction. This allows for a standard way of representing and manipulating vectors in equations and calculations.

2. Can any other letter be used to represent a vector?

Yes, other letters can also be used to represent vectors, such as "j" for the unit vector in the y-direction and "k" for the unit vector in the z-direction in three-dimensional space. However, "i" is the most commonly used letter for representing a vector in the x-direction.

3. How is "i" related to the concept of a basis vector?

"i" can be thought of as a basis vector, as it is a unit vector that forms one of the basis vectors in a coordinate system. In this case, "i" represents the basis vector in the x-direction, while "j" and "k" represent the basis vectors in the y and z-directions, respectively.

4. Why do we use "i" instead of another letter as a basis vector?

The use of "i" as a basis vector has historical roots in mathematics and has become a convention in many fields of science. It allows for a consistent and standard way of representing and manipulating vectors, making mathematical equations and calculations more efficient and easier to understand.

5. Can "i" be used to represent a vector in any coordinate system?

Yes, "i" can be used to represent a vector in any coordinate system where the x-direction is defined. It is a versatile notation that can be used in Cartesian, polar, or other coordinate systems to represent the direction of a vector in relation to the x-axis.