Why this triple integral equals zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses an inquiry about a computed integral and its result of zero using numerical methods. The use of spherical coordinates reveals a result of pi^2 / 40, but there is confusion about the explanation for this. The conversation ends with the individual discovering their mistake and thanking the others for their help.
topito2
Hello everyone, I have the this inquiry:

if I compute de following integral:
http://micurso.orgfree.com/Picture1.jpg
by numerical methods I get cero as a result. I used Maxima and Mathematica and their functions for numerical integration give me an answer equal to cero.
But, if I apply transformation with spherical coordinates the result turns out to be equal to pi^2 / 40.
I can't seem to find an explanation for this. Could any of you guys give me a hand with this? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well we'd need to see how you transformed the integral and its limits into spherical coordinates before we could even attempt to say what happened.

One question I had was whether you transformed the dxdydz properly or not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_element

Where you can see that dXdydz transforms into:

##dV = \rho^2 sin \theta d\rho d\theta d\phi##

Last edited:
The thread title asks why this is zero, which is quite easy to show. The first two integrations, over z and y, are trivial to do, and the result is an odd function of x.

Thank you so much for your answers, I rechecked what I did this morning and I found out what happens when calculating the integral in spherical coordinates.

Again, thank you so much for your time and cooperation, you guys rock!

Related to Why this triple integral equals zero?

1. Why is the triple integral equal to zero?

The triple integral is equal to zero because it represents the volume under a surface that is completely contained within the x-y-z coordinate plane. This means that the entire volume is below the xy-plane, which has a height of zero. As a result, the volume under the surface is also zero.

2. Can the triple integral ever be non-zero?

Yes, the triple integral can be non-zero if the surface extends above the xy-plane, creating a volume above the plane. In this case, the volume under the surface would not be completely contained within the coordinate plane, resulting in a non-zero triple integral.

3. What does a zero triple integral indicate about the function being integrated?

A zero triple integral indicates that the function being integrated is symmetric about the xy-plane. This means that the positive and negative volumes above and below the xy-plane cancel each other out, resulting in a net volume of zero.

4. How can we visualize a triple integral equaling zero?

A triple integral equaling zero can be visualized by imagining a surface that is completely contained within the coordinate plane, with no parts extending above or below it. This would result in a volume of zero and a triple integral equaling zero.

5. Are there any real-life applications of a triple integral equaling zero?

Yes, triple integrals equaling zero can be used in physics and engineering to calculate the center of mass or center of gravity of a symmetric object. It can also be used to find the moment of inertia of a symmetric object about an axis through its center of mass.