Why there is mod 2pi in Berry phase?

In summary: It's not clear what the starting point is. It seems that the starting point is the starting point of the path in k-space. But then, the gauge transformation is a function of k, not of $\lambda$. So, the starting and ending point has nothing to do with the gauge transformation. So, the starting and ending point can have two different gauge transformations.
mmssm
Some books say that there is a gauge transform that we can put an extra phase e^{i \phi ( R(t))} to the wave function.
Since R(t=0) = R(t=T), difference in \phi = 2 pi n, where n is any integers.
As gauge transform would lead to 2 pi n difference, berry phase is determined up to 2pi n.

However, when we calculate berry phase for bloch bands,
it gives 2 pi n, and this is not determined up to 2 pi n (otherwise chern number is always zero).

Would anybody solve my problem? Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What system are you referring to? In the generality it's not clear, what the problem is. Quantum theory is invariant under arbitrary unitary transformations. If the unitary transformations are time dependent one says that you change from one picture of time evolution to another. The choice of the picture, by construction, doesn't matter for the physical observable quantities predicted by QT.

I'm not sure to understand the question, but I think that the answers is that "berry phase" and "berry phase+2pi*n" are indistinguishable since the complex exponential is periodic.

Thank you for the comments. I would like to clarify my question.

Referring to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry_connection_and_curvature,
the geometrical phase, or the original berry phase, we can apply gauge transform
[tex] |\psi'({\bf{R}})\rangle=e^{i\beta({\bf{R}})} |\psi({\bf{R}})\rangle,[/tex]
with [tex]\beta({\bf{R}}(t=0))=\beta({\bf{R}}(t=T))+2n\pi,[/tex]
where R(t=0)=R(t=T), is referring to the same point geometrically.
This leads to the berry phase is determined up to 2pi.

The quantum hall conductance or berry phase of bloch bands have the same integral form, but the parameter is k instead of R.
For a 2 dimensional periodic system, berry phase for bloch band is in the form
[tex] \gamma = \oint \langle u_{\bf{k}}| d u_{\bf{k}} \rangle.[/tex]
The above gives multiple of 2 pi , according to first chern number.
(ANNALS OF PHYSICS 160, 343-354 (1985))

Corresponding gauge transform is
[tex] | u'_{\bf{k}} \rangle= e^{i\beta(k_1,k_2)}| u_{\bf{k}} \rangle.[/tex]
If I parametrize the path by λ, after a closed loop, it is
[tex]\beta({\bf{k}}(\lambda=0))=\beta({\bf{k}}(\lambda=1))[/tex]
but cannot
[tex]\beta({\bf{k}}(\lambda=0))=\beta({\bf{k}}(\lambda=1))+ 2 n \pi[/tex]
So in this case the phase is exact without determined up to 2 pi.

May I know why the gauge is the same but cannot differ by 2 n pi for the bloch band berry phase?

Last edited:
I hope in the beginning you meant the wave function, not a ket. In the latter case, I don't understand the notation ##|\psi(\mathbf{R}) \rangle##.

vanhees71 said:
I hope in the beginning you meant the wave function, not a ket. In the latter case, I don't understand the notation ##|\psi(\mathbf{R}) \rangle##.
The meaning is that the ket psi depends parametrically on the classical external parameter R.
For example, the wavefunctions for the electrons in molecules in the Born Oppenheimer approximation depends not only on the coordinates r of the electrons but also parametrically on the coordinates R of the nuclei.

Last edited:
mmssm said:
Thank you for the comments. I would like to clarify my question.May I know why the gauge is the same but cannot differ by 2 n pi for the bloch band berry phase?
A gauge transformation is always a unique function of the coordinates and also any phase factor is defined only up to 2n pi. However the real point is that only for special choices of n and gauge, the phase will be a ##\bf continuous## function of the parameter R. If you chose a discontinuous phase, physics doesn't change, but you will have to deal with delta functions in the vector potential where the phase has jumps.
  • My PF
  • https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/
  • https://www.physicsforums.com/account/alerts

Likes atyy
DrDu said:
A gauge transformation is always a unique function of the coordinates and also any phase factor is defined only up to 2n pi. However the real point is that only for special choices of n and gauge, the phase will be a ##\bf continuous## function of the parameter R. If you chose a discontinuous phase, physics doesn't change, but you will have to deal with delta functions in the vector potential where the phase has jumps.
  • My PF
  • https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/
  • https://www.physicsforums.com/account/alerts
Thank you for the reply. Let us choose a fix n.
For the case of hall conductance, it is an area integral with the gauge phase [tex]e^{if(k_1,k_2)}[/tex]
If we use stroke's theorem, parametrize the path by [tex](k_1,k_2)=(k_1(\lambda),k_2(\lambda),[/tex] where [tex]\lambda=0[/tex] is the starting point while [tex]\lambda=1[/tex] is the ending point. As they are the same point, so
[tex]f(k_1(\lambda=0),k_2(\lambda=0))=f((k_1(\lambda=1),k_2(\lambda=1))[/tex]
But according to the berry phase in wiki page, the gauge transform allows
[tex]f(k_1(\lambda=0),k_2(\lambda=0)=f((k_1(\lambda=1),k_2(\lambda=1))+2\pi[/tex]
There is a violation, one are equal while one can be different by 2 pi. Of course continuous gauge is assumed.

That's the problem with wikipedia.

Related to Why there is mod 2pi in Berry phase?

1. Why is there a mod 2pi in Berry phase?

The presence of a mod 2pi in Berry phase is a result of the periodic nature of the wave function in quantum mechanics. This periodicity is due to the fact that the wave function is a complex-valued quantity and can be represented as a vector on the complex plane. As the vector completes a full rotation around the origin, it returns to its original position, resulting in a phase difference of 2pi.

2. What is the significance of mod 2pi in Berry phase?

The mod 2pi in Berry phase is crucial in understanding the topological nature of the system. It represents the non-local nature of the phase and is responsible for the quantization of the Berry phase. Additionally, the mod 2pi also plays a role in the geometric interpretation of the Berry phase as an area enclosed by the wave function on the complex plane.

3. Is there a physical interpretation of the mod 2pi in Berry phase?

While the mod 2pi in Berry phase may seem abstract, it has a physical interpretation in terms of the geometric phase. The geometric phase is a result of the adiabatic evolution of the system and is related to the curvature of the wave function on the complex plane. Therefore, the mod 2pi in Berry phase represents the total curvature of the wave function and has a physical significance in terms of the system's dynamics.

4. Can the mod 2pi in Berry phase be experimentally observed?

Yes, the mod 2pi in Berry phase can be experimentally observed through various techniques such as interference experiments and quantum state tomography. These experiments can measure the phase difference between two states and show the quantization of the Berry phase. Additionally, the geometric interpretation of the Berry phase can also be observed through the measurement of the area enclosed by the wave function on the complex plane.

5. How does the mod 2pi in Berry phase relate to other physical phenomena?

The mod 2pi in Berry phase has connections to other physical phenomena such as the Aharonov-Bohm effect and the quantum Hall effect. These phenomena also involve the quantization of a phase and have topological properties similar to the Berry phase. The mod 2pi in Berry phase can also be seen as a manifestation of the underlying topological structure of the system, making it a fundamental aspect of many physical phenomena.