Why the work done is the area enclosed by the graph of F versus x on x Axis?

In summary, on a graph you have two axes (x and y) which represent physical space. Work is represented by the area under the curve between the x and y axes. If the force is a potential force, it is not well-defined at the point ##\vec{x}_0## and the potential is undefined.
Frigus
Why work done is area enclosed by graph of F v/s x on x Axis but not y axis.
Suppose we apply a force on object which is proportional to displacement as ##\vec f##=## \vec x##²then area enclosed by Force and displacement on x Axis is integral of ##\vec x##²but on y-axis it should be integral of ##\vec x##.from this I conclude that something is not correct in my reasoning but I can't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work done by Force along the course C of the coordinate is
[tex]W=\int_C \mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{dl}=\int_C (F_xdx+F_ydy+F_zdz)[/tex]
where ##\mathbf{dl}=(dx,dy,dz)## is tangent to C.
I do not find privileges among X-axis, Y-axis and Z-axis.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, Dale and etotheipi
@Hemant your post is pretty unclear. Are you asking about x and y axes in terms of physical space or in terms of a graph?

Dale said:
@Hemant your post is pretty unclear. Are you asking about x and y axes in terms of physical space or in terms of a graph?
Graphs

Hemant said:
Graphs

`If you have, as is fairly common, a graph of ##F_x## against ##x## (for instance, perhaps in the context of a spring), then the equation @mitochan gave reduces simply to ##W = \int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} F_x dx##. And this is the (signed) area bounded by the curve and the ##x## axis between the limits.

Hemant said:
Graphs
Please explain your question clearly. One word responses like this are unhelpful.

Hemant said:
work done is area enclosed by graph of F v/s x on x
That's the definition.
and your post is a bit unclear.

Correct me if I have misinterpreted your post.
You are addressing, I believe something that is useful for linear (non-linear) systems that store energy, but not in any other cases, ie ones that don't store energy.
Co-energy is a useful concept in the analysis of certain systems, and you might not even know you are using it.
An explanation
http://www.encyclopedia-magnetica.com/doku.php/coenergy

I am trying to rephrase what I want to say,
Suppose a particle is moving along a line and it's force depends on position as ##\vec f##=##\vec x##² and we want to find work done by the force then we will find area under the curve and x axis.now my question is that why work is area under curve and x Axis but not y axis.

Last edited:
Hemant said:
now my question is that why work is area under curve and x Axis but not y axis.
If you have ##y(x)## and if that function has an inverse ##x(y)## then the area between the function and the ##x## axis is ##\int y(x) \ dx##. The area between the function and the ##y## axis is ##\int x(y) \ dy ##

Work is ##\int F(x) \ dx## it is not ##\int x(F) \ dF##

On a graph you only have two axes. To represent an integral as “the area under the curve”, the y-axis must be the thing you are adding up: the integrand. In your example the y-axis is the force in the x direction. There is only one more axis, so you will only be able to represent this integral as “the area under the curve” if the motion is one dimensional (or can be parameterized into one dimension). If the motion is in more than one dimension you won’t be able to make a 2d graph representing the integral as the area under the curve.

I think this entire thread shows why one cannot empasize enough that a force is a vector a vector and nothing than a vector. The work is a scalar functional of the force along the trajectory of the particle determined by solutions of the equation of motion, i.e.,:
$$W=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t \vec{F}[\vec{x}(t)] \cdot \vec{v}(t).$$
If it interpretable as a "area under a curve", it's the area under the graph plotting the power as a function of time,
$$P(t)=\vec{F}[\vec{x}(t)] \cdot \vec{v}(t).$$
The concept of work has to be distinguished from the less general case of a conservative force with its potential, where the potential by definition doesn't depend on the specific path choosen to evaluate the potential. Then in general it's not an area under a curve, but a line integral along a path connecting an arbitrary fixed point (in the domain where the forces are well defined) and the postion ##\vec{x}##, at which you want to evaluate the potential, and it's defined by
$$V(\vec{x})=-\int_{C(\vec{x}_0 \rightarrow \vec{x})} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{r}).$$
If (and only if!) the force is a potential force this integral is independent of the specific curve connecting the point ##\vec{x}_0## with ##\vec{x}##, and
$$\vec{F}(\vec{x})=-\vec{\nabla} V(\vec{x}).$$
Sometimes it's also only locally valid (if the domain of ##\vec{F}## is not a simply connected region).

Hemant said:
Are you asking, why does the work equal this area:

force1.gif

and not this area?

force2.gif

Last edited:
Likes jack action, Frigus and Dale
Then Dale's explanation fits.

To explain in other words what @Dale and @jtbell already said, work is a force ##F## times a displacement ##dx## by definition. A displacement is a length between two positions (##dx = x_2 - x_1##). The concept of force differential (##dF = F_2 - F_1##) times a defined position ##x## has no physical meaning.

f-vs-x.png

Likes Dale and jtbell
Hemant said:
Yes,This was the thing I tried to explain but was not able to explain .😔

Please note that this is no longer a physics question, but rather a mathematics question. It comes from the definition of the integral of a function, something that you should have come across in your calculus class.

If you have an expression where

y = ∫ f(u) du

and if you plot f(u) in the vertical axis and u in the horizontal axis, then y is the area under the graph! Notice that this has nothing to do with "work" or any other concepts in physics. Rather, it is the definition of what an integral is!

So when you apply it to work done, then when it looks identical in form to the above expression, ALL THE SAME RULES of integration also are valid there! In the example that you kept repeating, u = x, and f(u) = x2. So when you plot x2 on the vertical axis and x in the horizontal axis, then the area under the graph is the integral of that function of f(x) = x2.

Zz.

Hemant said:
Could the idea of
[tex]\int x dF [/tex]
survive in case x and F are parameters of the state ? Then we can get "free energy", say G, by Legendre transformation,
[tex]G=E-xF[/tex]
[tex]dG=-xdF[/tex]
[tex]G=-\int x dF[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Why the work done is the area enclosed by the graph of F versus x on x Axis?

1. Why is the work done equal to the area enclosed by the graph of F versus x on x Axis?

The work done is equal to the area enclosed by the graph of F versus x on x Axis because of the fundamental relationship between force and displacement. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. When the force is constant, the work done can be represented by a rectangle on a graph, where the base is the displacement and the height is the force. As the displacement changes, the area of the rectangle also changes, representing the work done.

2. How does the graph of F versus x on x Axis illustrate the concept of work?

The graph of F versus x on x Axis illustrates the concept of work by representing the relationship between force and displacement. The area under the curve on the graph represents the work done, as explained in the first question. This visual representation helps to understand the concept of work and how it is affected by changes in force and displacement.

3. Can the work done be negative if the graph of F versus x on x Axis dips below the x-axis?

Yes, the work done can be negative if the graph of F versus x on x Axis dips below the x-axis. This indicates that the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in negative work. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the force when calculating and interpreting work done from a graph.

4. What happens to the work done if the graph of F versus x on x Axis is a straight line?

If the graph of F versus x on x Axis is a straight line, the work done can be calculated by finding the area of the triangle formed by the line, the x-axis, and the displacement. This is because the force and displacement are directly proportional, and the work done is equal to the product of the force and displacement. Therefore, the area of the triangle represents the work done.

5. How can the graph of F versus x on x Axis be used to calculate the work done in a real-life scenario?

The graph of F versus x on x Axis can be used to calculate the work done in a real-life scenario by measuring the displacement and force at different points and calculating the area under the curve. This can be done using a ruler to measure the displacement and a force meter to measure the force. By finding the area under the curve, the work done can be determined and used to analyze the energy and motion of the object in the given scenario.