Why the photoelectric cross section decreases with the energy of the photon?

In summary, the photoelectric cross section decreases as the energy of the photon increases due to the inverse relationship between energy and wavelength. As the photon's energy increases, its wavelength decreases, causing it to interact less with the target material and decreasing the likelihood of photoelectric effect occurring. Additionally, as the photon's energy increases, it is more likely to be scattered or absorbed by the target material, further reducing the chance of photoelectric effect. This phenomenon is also affected by the atomic structure of the target material, with higher atomic numbers resulting in stronger photoelectric absorption at lower photon energies.
wdlang
the higher the energy of the photon, the more powerful it can ionize an atom

but why then the absorption cross section decreases with the photon energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Resonance?

I'm not aware that it does? Where is this written?

More photon energy simply means more kinetic energy of the ejected electron, from what I can remember.

mathman said:
Resonance?

not a resonance

wdlang said:
the higher the energy of the photon, the more powerful it can ionize an atom

but why then the absorption cross section decreases with the photon energy?

You need to learn to provide references.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
<Sigh>

Please cite specifically where it says "... absorption cross section decreases with the photon energy..."

Zz.

see Cross section

wdlang said:
see Cross section

That is core-level photoemission. It is no longer the same "photoelectric" effect that is characterized by the Einstein equation. Notice the energy of the photon being used. The standard photoemission is done using predominantly visible to UV light that probes the conduction band, not core levels.

BTW, as someone who has done photoemission spectroscopy extensively, I would use this particular entry in Wikipedia as the poster child why someone should NOT use Wikipedia to learn from.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
That is core-level photoemission. It is no longer the same "photoelectric" effect that is characterized by the Einstein equation. Notice the energy of the photon being used. The standard photoemission is done using predominantly visible to UV light that probes the conduction band, not core levels.

BTW, as someone who has done photoemission spectroscopy extensively, I would use this particular entry in Wikipedia as the poster child why someone should NOT use Wikipedia to learn from.

Zz.

i know this

i have in mind the photoelectric effect of atoms not metals

wdlang said:
i know this

i have in mind the photoelectric effect of atoms not metals

Then please look up "photoionization". The topic of this thread is now no longer accurate.

Zz.

wdlang said:
not a resonance

My recollection is vague, but from what I remeber if the photon energy is just enough to kick the electron out of the atom, the electron is more receptive. As the photon energy gets higher it is less likely to happen. The following may help.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/mragheb/www/NPRE%20402%20ME%20405%20Nuclear%20Power%20Engineering/Gamma%20Rays%20Interactions%20with%20Matter.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why the photoelectric cross section decreases with the energy of the photon?

1. Why does the photoelectric cross section decrease with increasing energy of the photon?

The photoelectric cross section is a measure of the likelihood of a photon interacting with an atom or molecule and causing the ejection of an electron. As the energy of the photon increases, it is more likely to pass through the atom without interacting with it. This is because the energy of the photon is directly related to its frequency, and higher frequencies correspond to shorter wavelengths. Shorter wavelengths can pass through atoms more easily, making it less likely for the photon to interact with the atom and cause the photoelectric effect.

2. What is the relationship between the energy of a photon and its photoelectric cross section?

The energy of a photon and its photoelectric cross section are inversely proportional. As the energy of the photon increases, the photoelectric cross section decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is due to the fact that higher energy photons have shorter wavelengths, which make it easier for them to pass through atoms without interacting with them.

3. How does the atomic structure affect the photoelectric cross section?

The atomic structure plays a significant role in determining the photoelectric cross section. Atoms with more tightly bound electrons will have a higher photoelectric cross section compared to atoms with loosely bound electrons. This is because the more tightly bound electrons require a higher energy photon to overcome the binding energy and cause the photoelectric effect.

4. What other factors besides the energy of the photon can affect the photoelectric cross section?

Besides the energy of the photon, the atomic number and density of the material can also affect the photoelectric cross section. Materials with a higher atomic number (more protons in the nucleus) will have a higher photoelectric cross section because the positively charged nucleus exerts a stronger pull on the electrons, making them more tightly bound. Additionally, a higher density of atoms in a material will increase the likelihood of a photon interacting with an atom and causing the photoelectric effect.

5. How can we use the photoelectric cross section to study materials?

The photoelectric cross section is a useful tool for studying the properties of materials. By measuring the energy and intensity of photons that pass through a material, we can determine its photoelectric cross section and gain insight into its atomic structure and composition. This information can be used to identify unknown materials, monitor changes in a material's composition over time, and even design new materials with desired properties.