Why the orbitals can contain maximum of 2 electrons?

In summary, the Pauli exclusion principle states that electrons cannot be in the same state with the same spin. This is because the principle prohibits multiple electrons in the same particle with the same spin.
Raghav Gupta
why orbitals like s, px, py, pz etc can hold maximum of 2 electrons?
Why not some other number?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrons have spin 1/2, so they just have two different states (called "up" and "down"). The Pauli exclusion principle does not allow multiple electrons in the same state.

Quantum Defect said:
The link is assuming that we are aware that the orbital can hold maximum of two electrons and then assigning 1/2 and -1/2 spins to two electrons.
mfb said:
Electrons have spin 1/2, so they just have two different states (called "up" and "down"). The Pauli exclusion principle does not allow multiple electrons in the same state.
Why in Pauli exclusion principle the electrons have 1/2 and -1/2 spin accounting for 2 electrons?
For example if we have 1/4 spin, then we can have 4 electrons in an orbital, with 2 electrons having 1/4 spin and other 2 -1/4 spin.

Raghav Gupta said:
For example if we have 1/4 spin, then we can have 4 electrons in an orbital, with 2 electrons having 1/4 spin and other 2 -1/4 spin.

Spin 1/4 is impossible - its a basic property of spin as just about any book on QM will derive eg see page 144 of Dirac - Principles Of QM which is the book the came to hand. It can only be values +-n/2 where n is an integer. It turns out for electrons, as explained by Quantum Field Theory, they have only values +-1/2.

Thanks
Bill

Likes vanhees71
Not read that book. I think it is taught in university. Is that true?
Well I was reading a high school level stuff.

Raghav Gupta said:
Not read that book. I think it is taught in university. Is that true? Well I was reading a high school level stuff.

Yes.

That being the case you just have to take our word for it.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
That being the case you just have to take our word for it.

Thanks
Bill
Okay and thanks, but why are you thanking Bill. I nowhere find Bill in the discussion.

Raghav Gupta said:
Okay and thanks, but why are you thanking Bill. I nowhere find Bill in the discussion.

I am Bill - that's what the b in bhobba is.

Its just acknowledging the reader going to the trouble to read and consider what I wrote.

Many moons ago when I was a team leader doing programming work my director always signed her communications like that and I, being on the receiving end of it, thought it nice enough that I should reciprocate.

As a young person starting out its something to think about as well. Over the years I have unfortunately found, and I am far from immune to this, that those involved in highly technical pursuits sometimes forget we are dealing with human beings and this type of thing keeps you grounded.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Raghav Gupta
Yeah understood

Thanks for the explanation
Raghav

Raghav Gupta said:

OFF-TOPIC:

Omg. I just have to say that I laughed for like 2mins after reading this. So funny mate!

Likes Raghav Gupta and TESL@
bhobba said:
Spin 1/4 is impossible - its a basic property of spin as just about any book on QM will derive eg see page 144 of Dirac - Principles Of QM which is the book the came to hand. It can only be values +-n/2 where n is an integer. It turns out for electrons, as explained by Quantum Field Theory, they have only values +-1/2.
To extend that: particles with spin 1 can have +1, 0 and -1, particles with spin 3/2 can have +3/2, +1/2, -1/2, -3/2 and so on. Particles with spin 0 have no choice.
The exclusion principle applies to fermions only, those are particles with non-integer spin values (1/2, 3/2, ...).

mfb said:
To extend that: particles with spin 1 can have +1, 0 and -1, particles with spin 3/2 can have +3/2, +1/2, -1/2, -3/2 and so on. Particles with spin 0 have no choice.
The exclusion principle applies to fermions only, those are particles with non-integer spin values (1/2, 3/2, ...).
Thanks. Not read about this earlier. Will see to it some time later.

bhobba said:
I am Bill - that's what the b in bhobba is.
l
And I always thought that it is an indian name! :-)

Likes bhobba

Related to Why the orbitals can contain maximum of 2 electrons?

1. Why can orbitals contain a maximum of 2 electrons?

According to the Pauli exclusion principle, no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers. This means that for every orbital, there can only be a maximum of 2 electrons with opposite spins.

2. How does the number of electrons in an orbital affect its stability?

The stability of an orbital is determined by the number of electrons it contains. If an orbital has more than 2 electrons, they will repel each other due to their negative charges, making the orbital less stable. Therefore, the maximum of 2 electrons in an orbital allows for the most stable arrangement.

3. Why do electrons in the same orbital have opposite spins?

The principle of electron spin states that electrons must have opposite spins in the same orbital. This is because electrons are fermions, which follow the Pauli exclusion principle and must have different quantum numbers.

4. Can more than 2 electrons occupy the same orbital?

No, due to the Pauli exclusion principle, a maximum of 2 electrons can occupy the same orbital. This is because electrons in the same orbital must have opposite spins, and with more than 2 electrons, this would not be possible.

5. How do the number of orbitals and electrons relate in an atom?

The number of orbitals in an atom is determined by the number of energy levels, which is equal to the period number on the periodic table. Each orbital can contain a maximum of 2 electrons, so the total number of electrons in an atom is equal to the number of orbitals multiplied by 2.