Why the Galileo transformations are not correct for inertial systems

In summary, Lorentz transformations were extended to account for relativistic effects like time dilation and length contraction, which were not addressed by Galilean transformations. This correction was inspired by observations of electromagnetic phenomena. Later, Einstein postulated that all physical laws should have the same symmetry as electromagnetism, leading to the development of special relativity. While there have been many derivations of the transformations, it is important to acknowledge Einstein's contribution and recognize the historical context in which these ideas were developed.
Physicsissuef
Why the Galileo transformations are not correct for inertial systems which are traveling close to the speed of light? What made Lorentz to correct this?

Physics news on Phys.org

because they are not able to account for relativistic effects like time dilation and length contraction. Lorentz extended them imposing the condition that they should account for them.

bernhard.rothenstein said:
because they are not able to account for relativistic effects like time dilation and length contraction. Lorentz extended them imposing the condition that they should account for them.
No, and that is not how Einstein derived them either. Those can be derived from relativity, but they weren't conditions that were imposed to arrive at lorentz transformations. (I do not believe there even was any experimental evidence of time dilation for Lorentz or Einstein to use at the time.)

Physicsissuef said:
Why the Galileo transformations are not correct for inertial systems which are traveling close to the speed of light? What made Lorentz to correct this?
The correction came from looking at electromagnetism. Luckily this was already written in its correct form before special relativity was "discovered". Unlike all the other empirical laws of the time, electromagnetism did not look the same in another frame if you applied a Galilean transformation. This confused many people.

Lorentz created a coordinate transformation specifically to make the equations of electromagnetism "look" the same as in the original inertial frame. I say "look" because he believed this was just a nice mathematical trick and had no real physical significance.

Later Einstein postulated that ALL physical laws should look the same in inertial frames ... it turns out this was correct, for with better measurements it turned out Newton's laws needed to be adjusted to have the same Lorentz symmetry as electromagnetism ... and even the unknown forces at the time (weak and strong nuclear force) turned out to have this symmetry as well.

JustinLevy said:
No, and that is not how Einstein derived them either. Those can be derived from relativity, but they weren't conditions that were imposed to arrive at lorentz transformations. (I do not believe there even was any experimental evidence of time dilation for Lorentz or Einstein to use at the time.)

Thank you for your oppinion. Since Einstein presented his derivation of the transformation equations, history of physics has registered many derivations of them, imposing the condition that they account for time dilation and length contraction. Arxiv presents many derivations of them. The formulas which account for time dilation and length contraction could be derived without using the Lorentz-Einstein transformations. The author of the thread did not mention Einstein's name. I think he could find out something updated from the way in which I answered his question.
With respect for your oppinion.

Thanks for the posts. First, I was confused, since the length should not depend from the speed. So I also think like Bernhard Rothenstein that there are some length contractions and time dilation.

I agree with Justin Levy. Einstein realized that Gallilean transformations did not work with electromagnetisn as described by Maxwell's equations. Most people were surprised by the subsequent predictions of length contraction and time dilation.

I think Michelson realized that Galilean transformations did not work with electromagnetism, using the Michelson interferometer.

Mentz114 said:
I agree with Justin Levy. Einstein realized that Gallilean transformations did not work with electromagnetisn as described by Maxwell's equations. Most people were surprised by the subsequent predictions of length contraction and time dilation.

I think that the problem is not about what Einstein did. Stating his postulates and starting to teach special relativity it is not compulsory to mention Maxwell's equations. There are many ways to do that. The problem is if teaching special relativity it is compulsory to respect history, without diminishing Einstein's contribution! I think that doing so we gain more audience. Of course I respect the oppinions of others.

Related to Why the Galileo transformations are not correct for inertial systems

1. Why are the Galileo transformations not correct for inertial systems?

The Galileo transformations, also known as the Galilean transformations, were developed by Galileo Galilei in the 17th century to describe the motion of objects in classical mechanics. However, these transformations assume a fixed and absolute reference frame, which is not consistent with the principles of special relativity. Inertial systems, which are systems in which the laws of motion hold true, do not have a fixed and absolute reference frame. Therefore, the Galileo transformations are not correct for describing the motion of objects in inertial systems.

2. Can the Galileo transformations be used to describe the motion of objects in all reference frames?

No, the Galileo transformations are only applicable in non-relativistic situations, where speeds are much smaller than the speed of light. In special relativity, the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames, but the Galileo transformations do not account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds. Therefore, they cannot be used to accurately describe the motion of objects in all reference frames.

3. How do the Galileo transformations differ from the Lorentz transformations?

The Galileo transformations and the Lorentz transformations are two different sets of equations used to transform measurements between reference frames in special relativity. While the Galileo transformations assume a fixed and absolute reference frame, the Lorentz transformations take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds. The Lorentz transformations are the correct equations for describing the motion of objects in inertial systems.

4. Are there any situations where the Galileo transformations can still be used?

Yes, the Galileo transformations can still be used to accurately describe the motion of objects in non-relativistic situations, where speeds are much smaller than the speed of light. For example, they can be used to analyze the motion of objects on Earth or in low-speed experiments in a laboratory setting.

5. How did the discovery of special relativity impact the use of the Galileo transformations?

The discovery of special relativity revolutionized our understanding of space and time, and it rendered the Galileo transformations obsolete in the context of describing the motion of objects in inertial systems. The Lorentz transformations, which take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, are now the accepted equations for describing the motion of objects in all reference frames. However, the Galileo transformations are still useful in non-relativistic situations, as long as the effects of special relativity can be neglected.