Why the answer in book does not match the clue given

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height of an elevator at a specific time after a marble is dropped through the floor. The correct solution involves using the uniform speed and displacement equations, while the solution provided in the manual is incorrect and does not match the given clue.
Buffu

Homework Statement

An elevator ascends from the ground with uniform speed. At time ##T_1## a boy drops a marble through the floor. The marble falls with uniform acceleration ##9.8## m/s^2 and hits the ground ##T_2## seconds later. Fiind the height of the elevator at time ##T_1##. Clue : if ##T_1 = T_2 = 4## then ##h = 39.2m ##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I let the uniform speed be ##u##,

The displacement is ##-h## in time ##T_2##.

##-h = uT_2 - \dfrac{1}{2}g T_2^2##

Also
And ##u = \dfrac{h}{T_1}##

So, ##-h = \dfrac{hT_2}{T_1} - \dfrac{1}{2}gT_2^2##

Combining them I get

##h = \dfrac{ g T_2^2 T_1}{2(T_2 + T_1) }##

Is the correct ?

But the given answer is ##h = \dfrac{T_1}{T_2}\dfrac12g(T_1 - T_2)^2 ##

Also there answer does not match the given clue ? is the given answer wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like your answer is correct.

Their answer appears to correspond to having ##T_2## be the total time since ##T = 0## rather than the time since ##T_1##. But, that's not the correct meaning of ##T_2## according to the statement of the question.

TSny said:
Looks like your answer is correct.

Their answer appears to correspond to having ##T_2## be the total time since ##T = 0## rather than the time since ##T_1##. But, that's not the correct meaning of ##T_2## according to the statement of the question.

I guess the solution manual was not created by the original authors.

Related to Why the answer in book does not match the clue given

1. Why is the answer in the book different from the clue given?

There are a few possible reasons for this discrepancy. It could be a mistake in the book, a typo in the clue, or a misunderstanding of the clue by the person who wrote the book. It's also possible that there is more than one correct answer and the book simply lists a different one.

2. How do I know which answer is correct?

If you are unsure which answer to trust, it's important to consult multiple sources and compare the information. This can help you determine if the answer in the book is accurate or if there are other valid answers. Additionally, you can reach out to the author or publisher for clarification.

3. Can I trust the answer in the book?

While books are typically reliable sources of information, they are not infallible. Mistakes can happen in the writing, editing, or printing process. It's always a good idea to double check information with other sources to ensure accuracy.

4. What should I do if I find an error in the book?

If you believe you have found an error in the book, you can contact the publisher or author to inform them. They may be able to correct the mistake in future editions or provide an explanation for the discrepancy.

5. Does this mean the book is wrong?

Not necessarily. As mentioned, there could be multiple correct answers or a simple mistake. It's important to carefully consider the information and consult other sources before concluding that the book is wrong.