Why Tetrahydrothiophene is Stronger Acid than Tetrahydrofuran

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary: The question is asking about the baseity of THF and THT, not their acidity. THF and THT are not good acids, they are poor bases. so it would make more sense to talk about their ability to act as bases.
gracy

Homework Statement

tetrahydrothiophene is stronger acid than tetrahydrofuran

Homework Equations

Acidic strength depends on stability of conjugate base.And stability of conjugate base in turn depends on
following factors
resonance,inductive effect,hybridization,atomic size i.e electron density and electronegativity.

The Attempt at a Solution

100px-Tetrahydrofuran.svg.png
mfcd00005476-medium.png
As electronegativity of oxygen is greater than sulphur ,tetrahydrofuran should give more stable conjugate base after removal of acidic hydrogen.,But my teacher says electron density plays bigger role in determining stability of conjugate base than electronegativity .So,sulphur in tetrahydrothiophene is bigger than oxygen in size that's why it will have less electron density that's why will give more stable conjugate base .Hence tetrahydrothiophene more stable than tetrahydrofuran.Right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A few issues here:
1) Do you expect these compounds to be acidic? Which hydrogen atom is lost when you deprotonate thf and tht?

2) When the atoms you are comparing reside on different rows of the periodic table, atomic size is indeed more important than electronegativity when determining the stability of a conjugate base. As you correctly state, electron and charge density is the main factor.

Sulfur is larger than oxygen. Given that they have the same number of valence electrons, which will have the greater electron density?

Ygggdrasil said:
Sulfur is larger than oxygen. Given that they have the same number of valence electrons, which will have the greater electron density?
I just corrected myself.

gracy said:
I just corrected myself.
Ok, now that section is correct. But I'm not still clear about what you're measuring. Are you trying to look at the ability of thf and tht to donate protons (their acidity) or their ability to accept protons (their basicity). Which do you think would be more likely, the deprotonation of these molecules (what would the conjugate base look like?) or the protonation of these molecules (what would the conjugate acid look like?)?

Ygggdrasil said:
Do you expect these compounds to be acidic? Which hydrogen atom is lost when you deprotonate thf and tht?
I think
. Homework Statement

tetrahydrothiophene is stronger acid than tetrahydrofuran

Homework Equations

Acidic strength depends on stability of conjugate base.And stability of conjugate base in turn depends on
following factors
resonance,inductive effect,hybridization,atomic size i.e electron density and electronegativity.

The Attempt at a Solution

100px-Tetrahydrofuran.svg.png
mfcd00005476-medium.png

As electronegativity of oxygen is greater than sulphur ,tetrahydrofuran should give more stable conjugate base ..,But my teacher says electron density plays bigger role in determining stability of conjugate base than electronegativity .So,sulphur in tetrahydrothiophene is bigger than oxygen in size that's why it will have less electron density So it can accept electron(which is tendency of an acid)without any electron repulsion better than tetrahydrofuran which will have less tendency to accept electron because of electronic repulsion due to greater electronic density. .Hence tetrahydrothiophene is better acid than tetrahydrofuran.Right?

Please answer.Is my post 5 correct?

If tetrahydrofuran is acting as an acid, the oxygen is not the atom accepting a pair of electrons/donating a proton. It may be helpful to draw out the conjugate base you expect from the deprotonation of tetrahydrofuran.

Now, tetrahydrofuran is acting as a base, the oxygen atom is the atom donating the pair of electrons/accepting the proton.

Can you double check the question to see whether it is asking about the acidity of THF and THT or their basicity? Both are extremely poor acids, so it would make more sense to talk about their ability to act as bases.

Here is the video

but the audio is not clear and his accent is hard to understand.But you just look at only one instant at time 4:34

So if tetrahydrofuran is acting as an acid, where does the proton come from, and what does the conjugate base look like?

Related to Why Tetrahydrothiophene is Stronger Acid than Tetrahydrofuran

1. Why is tetrahydrothiophene a stronger acid than tetrahydrofuran?

Tetrahydrothiophene is a stronger acid than tetrahydrofuran because the sulfur atom in tetrahydrothiophene is more electronegative than the oxygen atom in tetrahydrofuran. This results in a stronger bond between the hydrogen atom and the sulfur atom, making it easier for the hydrogen atom to dissociate and therefore increasing the acidity of the molecule.

2. How does the molecular structure of tetrahydrothiophene contribute to its acidity?

The molecular structure of tetrahydrothiophene, with a sulfur atom bonded to four hydrogen atoms in a ring, creates a more stable molecule compared to tetrahydrofuran. This stability is due to the ability of the sulfur atom to delocalize the negative charge in the molecule, making it easier for the hydrogen atom to dissociate and increasing the acidity.

3. Is the acidity of tetrahydrothiophene and tetrahydrofuran affected by their solubility?

Yes, the solubility of a molecule can affect its acidity. In the case of tetrahydrothiophene and tetrahydrofuran, tetrahydrofuran is more polar and therefore more soluble in water. This results in the molecule being more stabilized in solution and less likely to dissociate the hydrogen atom, making it less acidic compared to tetrahydrothiophene which is less soluble and more likely to dissociate the hydrogen atom.

4. Are there any other factors besides electronegativity that contribute to the acidity of tetrahydrothiophene and tetrahydrofuran?

Yes, there are other factors such as molecular size and the ability of the molecule to delocalize charge. In the case of tetrahydrothiophene and tetrahydrofuran, tetrahydrothiophene has a larger molecular size which increases the stability of the molecule, making it more acidic. Additionally, the sulfur atom in tetrahydrothiophene has a greater ability to delocalize charge compared to the oxygen atom in tetrahydrofuran, making it a stronger acid.

5. How does the acidity of tetrahydrothiophene and tetrahydrofuran affect their reactivity?

The stronger acidity of tetrahydrothiophene compared to tetrahydrofuran makes it a more reactive molecule. This is because the dissociation of the hydrogen atom in tetrahydrothiophene results in a more stable anion, making it more likely to participate in chemical reactions. Additionally, the stability of the molecule allows for stronger interactions with other molecules, further increasing its reactivity.