Why Should the Boat Head in a Specific Direction to Cross the River Quickly?

• Thread starter mikeyman2010
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about the direction a boat should head in order to arrive at the opposite shore of a river in the shortest time, given a current blowing to the east. The possible answers are north, northeast, and northwest. The correct answer is north because the effect of the current only affects the east-west speed, not the north speed, and going straight north gives the greatest possible north component of the rowing speed. Even though going northwest may minimize the total distance traveled, it wastes speed going sideways and ultimately takes longer to cross the river. The only distance that matters is the distance across the river, and going straight north allows for the fastest traversal of that distance.
mikeyman2010
Hey, I'm a high school physics student and I came across this question on one of my practice papers that stumbled me quite a bit. It's a relatively simple relativity/vector question, but I can't understand why the correct answer is what it is. Can any1 help me?

Here's the question:

Suppose we have a river, and a boat is trying to get to the other shore. A current is blowing to the east. In what direction should the boat head to arrive at the other end of the river in the shortest time?
a) North
b) Northeast
c) Northwest

Current---------->

__
/ \
[ ]
[ ]
__________________________[____]_________________________

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it matter where it ends up on the other side, i.e. does it have to end up directly across from it's starting position? If it has to be directly across, then it's only choice is to go Northwest. If it just has to get to the other side, then "North" is the correct answer. Why? Because the effect of the current only affects how fast it goes east/west, it has no north component. So, the speed at which it goes north depends solely on the north component of the rowing speed (the speed of the boat if it were in still water). Since going straight north gives the greatest possible north component, north is your answer.

Thnx for the reply. I don't think where the boat lands matters, but i'd like to know, if you go north directly, wouldn't the distance you need to travel to reach the opposite shore increase since current blows you off-course? (Since it's a hypotenuse side of a right triangle). I thought it was going northwest would give you the shortest time since it minimizes the distance you need to travel by allowing the current to blow you into a straight path. Can you explain why having a greater velocity matters more than having a shorter distance to travel to travel across the river? Again, thnx for the help!

mikeyman2010 said:
I don't think where the boat lands matters, but i'd like to know, if you go north directly, wouldn't the distance you need to travel to reach the opposite shore increase since current blows you off-course? (Since it's a hypotenuse side of a right triangle).
Sure you'll travel a greater distance, but who cares? All you care about is traveling as fast as possible in the North direction. You want to minimize the time it takes to get you across the river, not the total distance you travel.
I thought it was going northwest would give you the shortest time since it minimizes the distance you need to travel by allowing the current to blow you into a straight path.
It does minimize the distance, but you waste speed going sideways. So it ends up taking you longer to cross.
Can you explain why having a greater velocity matters more than having a shorter distance to travel to travel across the river?
The only distance that matters is the distance across the river (south to north), not the total distance traveled. That south to north distance doesn't change. And you want to traverse that distance as fast as possible. So don't waste any speed fighting the current. Make sense?

Oh, i see, so even if you go straight, and get blown off-course, the distance you travel from south to north stays the same, right?

Exactly right!

Related to Why Should the Boat Head in a Specific Direction to Cross the River Quickly?

What is the question that needs help with?

The specific question will depend on the individual's assignment or problem, but it will likely involve a concept related to high school physics such as motion, forces, energy, or electricity.

Is this a common problem that many students struggle with?

Yes, high school physics can be a challenging subject for many students. It involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract ideas that can be difficult to understand without proper guidance and practice.

What steps should I take to solve the problem?

First, read the question carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, identify the relevant concepts and equations that can be applied. Next, gather all the necessary information and plug it into the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, double-check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

Where can I find additional resources for help with high school physics?

There are many online resources available for help with high school physics, such as tutorial videos, interactive simulations, and practice problems. Additionally, your school may offer tutoring services or your teacher may be available for extra help outside of class.

How can I improve my understanding of high school physics concepts in general?

The best way to improve your understanding of high school physics is through regular practice and review. Make sure you are actively engaged in class and take thorough notes. You can also try explaining concepts to others or creating study guides to reinforce your understanding. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also greatly improve your understanding of difficult concepts.