Why Should a Boat Row at 90 Degrees to Cross a River Fastest?

In summary, the problem involves a boy trying to row across a river in the shortest time possible. The river is flowing at 1 m/s and the boy can row at 2 m/s in still water. Setting up a triangle and using a trigonometric function to find the angle does not give the correct answer of 90 degrees. However, considering the problem from the frame of the water, where the water is motionless and the bank is moving at 1 m/s, gives the correct answer. Also, note that the velocity of the boat given is relative to the water, not the Earth.
crazyog
Hi!
I'm having trouble with some relative velocity problems.

Example A)
A boy wishes to row across a river in the shortest possible time. He can row at 2 m/s in still water and the river is flowing at 1 m/s. At which angle (theta) should he point the bow (front) of his boat.

I tried to set up a triangle and use a trig function...but I am not getting the correct answer.
The book says that the answer is 90 degrees.

I believe the relevant equation is velocity of the boat with respect to Earth = velocity of the boat with respect to water + velocity of the water respect to earth

V(be)=V(bw)+V(we)
and I solve for v(bw) since they give me 2 m/s (boat with respect to Earth ?) and 1 m/s (water with repsect to earth)

Then I tried to to inverse sin of (2/ sqrt(3)) but the answer is def. not 90.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi crazyog,

The boat's velocity of 2 m/s is relative to the water, and the direction of the bow of the boat will be the direction of the velocity of the boat with respect to the water.

However, if I'm reading the problem correctly I don't think you actually need some of those details. The way I read it is that the boy just want to reach the other side of the river as fast as possible, and the important thing is he does not care how far downstream he happens to go along the way.

crazyog said:
Hi!
I'm having trouble with some relative velocity problems.

Example A)
A boy wishes to row across a river in the shortest possible time. He can row at 2 m/s in still water and the river is flowing at 1 m/s. At which angle (theta) should he point the bow (front) of his boat.

I tried to set up a triangle and use a trig function...but I am not getting the correct answer.
The book says that the answer is 90 degrees.

I believe the relevant equation is velocity of the boat with respect to Earth = velocity of the boat with respect to water + velocity of the water respect to earth

V(be)=V(bw)+V(we)
and I solve for v(bw) since they give me 2 m/s (boat with respect to Earth ?) and 1 m/s (water with repsect to earth)

Then I tried to to inverse sin of (2/ sqrt(3)) but the answer is def. not 90.

Try considering it from the frame of the water. i.e., the water is motionless, and the bank is moving at 1 m/s.

Sheldon

An answer of 90 degrees is compatible with alphysists' answer

Welcome to PF!

Hi crazyog! Welcome to PF! :smile:
crazyog said:
… they give me 2 m/s (boat with respect to Earth ?)

ah … that's why you're getting the wrong result … "in still water" means that the 2 m/s is boat with respect to water. :smile:

Related to Why Should a Boat Row at 90 Degrees to Cross a River Fastest?

1. What is relative velocity in the context of boats?

Relative velocity refers to the motion of a boat in relation to another object, such as another boat or a stationary point on the water. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the boat in comparison to the other object.

2. How is relative velocity calculated for boats?

Relative velocity for boats is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one boat from the velocity of the other boat or the stationary point. The resulting value represents the relative speed and direction of the two boats in relation to each other.

3. Can relative velocity for boats be negative?

Yes, relative velocity for boats can be negative if the two boats are moving in opposite directions. This indicates that the two boats are moving away from each other at a certain speed and in a certain direction.

4. How does wind affect relative velocity for boats?

Wind can affect the relative velocity of boats by adding or subtracting its own speed and direction to the overall calculation. For example, if one boat is moving against the wind, its relative velocity in relation to a stationary point on the water will be slower than if there was no wind.

5. What is the significance of understanding relative velocity for boats?

Understanding relative velocity for boats is important for navigation and safety on the water. It allows boat operators to anticipate the movement and potential collisions with other boats or stationary objects, and make necessary adjustments to their speed and direction to avoid accidents.