Why quarks' wave functions are eigenstates of I and Iz

In summary: Having I_z diagonal is a choice of basis. It's natural to choose it diagonal in the basis of states handed to us by observation.
LayMuon
This might sound like a totally dumb question but anyway:

QCD lagrangian in the limit of mu=md has flavor SU(2) symmetry with respect these two quarks. And we say that these quarks' wave functions are eigenstates of I and Iz. The question is why?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever there is a symmetry of the system, the corresponding charges of the states become good quantum numbers (since the charge generators commute with the Hamiltonian). So we can always choose a basis for the states such that the basis elements are eigenstates of [itex]I^2, I_z[/itex]. In this particular case, the SU(2) flavor symmetry acts in such a way that the up and down quarks have [itex]I_z=+1[/itex] and [itex]I_z=-1[/itex].

but how do you know that the eigenstate of Iz are the real u and d quark and not some linear combination of them?

Well for one thing, the charge. The u and d quark states are the charge eigenstates. By convention we choose isospin to obey Q = Iz + Y/2 where Y is the hypercharge, a constant for the multiplet and equal to 1/3 for quarks.

How does all these follow from qcd lagrangian?

LayMuon said:
How does all these follow from qcd lagrangian?

Electric charge and isospin are symmetries of the QCD Lagrangian. Therefore, there are no terms in the QCD Lagrangian that can change those quantum numbers. So if a state is prepared with a given set of charges, these will be conserved.

fzero said:
Whenever there is a symmetry of the system, the corresponding charges of the states become good quantum numbers (since the charge generators commute with the Hamiltonian). So we can always choose a basis for the states such that the basis elements are eigenstates of [itex]I^2, I_z[/itex]. In this particular case, the SU(2) flavor symmetry acts in such a way that the up and down quarks have [itex]I_z=+1[/itex] and [itex]I_z=-1[/itex].

Am I right on this: the direction of axes in isospin space can be chosen arbitrarily, hence we choose them in such a way as to attribute to u quark the 1/2 eigenvalue of Iz operator and to d quark - the -1/2 eigenvalue; I is the casimir operator for the representation so it gives the indexing of representation.

LayMuon said:
Am I right on this: the direction of axes in isospin space can be chosen arbitrarily, hence we choose them in such a way as to attribute to u quark the 1/2 eigenvalue of Iz operator and to d quark - the -1/2 eigenvalue; I is the casimir operator for the representation so it gives the indexing of representation.

This is true if we ignore electric charge. As Bill_K points out, after electroweak symmetry breaking, the physical electric charge depends on the eigenvalue of ##I_z##, so the identification of quarks is actually fixed on us by self-consistency.

But isn't it strange that it's fixed? I mean, then how does that happen that eigenstates of Iz are precisely the quarks of electrodynamics interaction and not some linear combination of them? How would that follow from SM lagrangian?

Last edited:
LayMuon said:
But isn't it strange that it's fixed? I mean, then how does that happen that eigenstates of Iz are precisely the quarks of electrodynamics interaction and not some linear combination of them? How would that follow from SM lagrangian?

Having [itex]I_z[/itex] diagonal is a choice of basis. It's natural to choose it diagonal in the basis of states handed to us by observation. Choosing some other basis would just make things inconvenient, not any more correct.

Related to Why quarks' wave functions are eigenstates of I and Iz

1. Why are quarks' wave functions eigenstates of I and Iz?

The concept of eigenstates in quantum mechanics is related to the idea of angular momentum. In the case of quarks, their wave functions are eigenstates of I and Iz because they have an intrinsic angular momentum called spin. This spin is a fundamental property of quarks and is a key factor in determining their behavior.

2. What is the significance of quarks' wave functions being eigenstates of I and Iz?

Eigenstates are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the state of a system in which a particular property, such as spin, has a definite value. In the case of quarks, their wave functions being eigenstates of I and Iz means that their spin has a well-defined value and can only take on certain discrete values.

3. How do we know that quarks' wave functions are eigenstates of I and Iz?

Experimental evidence, such as measurements of quark spin, has confirmed that quarks' wave functions are indeed eigenstates of I and Iz. Additionally, theoretical models and calculations based on the principles of quantum mechanics also support this concept.

4. Can quarks' wave functions be in a superposition of eigenstates of I and Iz?

Yes, quarks' wave functions can be in a superposition of eigenstates of I and Iz. This means that a quark's spin can have multiple possible values at the same time, but when measured, it will collapse into a single eigenstate with a definite value.

5. How does the fact that quarks' wave functions are eigenstates of I and Iz impact particle interactions?

The fact that quarks' wave functions are eigenstates of I and Iz plays a crucial role in particle interactions. The spin of quarks determines the quantum numbers of the particles they form, which in turn affects how they interact with other particles. This is an essential factor in understanding the behavior and properties of matter at a fundamental level.