Why perfect graphene has nonmagnetic state?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of graphene, specifically its sub-lattice structure and its magnetic properties. The speaker questions why perfect graphene is nonmagnetic and why graphene with two vacancies can have different magnetic states. They also mention that their understanding may be related to their previous question about graphene with two vacancies.
Hyeonyeong Kim
I'm major in chemistry my undergraduate.. and not good at Physics, Solid states... etc.

I know pure graphene has two sub-lattice because it has two carbon atoms.. and something basic properties.

then, why perfect graphene(no vacancy) is in nonmagnetic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Already its Lewis structure should tell you that all electrons are paired. So why do you expect it to be magnetic?

Likes Hyeonyeong Kim
yes.. that is reasonable.

when I saw the electronic band structure, I could see fermi level does not put on any state.

it say there is not unpaired electron. sorry. I think I had to post more better question.Actually I want to know, when graphene has two vacancy, graphene can get the two vacancy configuration.

1. same sublattice, 2. different sublattice.

I knew there magnetic trend..
1 : ferromagnetic state
2 : nonmagnetic state

I couldn't understand in case of 2, why graphene can get more low total energy?In case of 2, I thought my question has something relation with my first question. that is my mistake.

sorry for my low english level.

In case 2 you can draw a Lewis structure where all electrons are paired up, in cade 1 you cannot but get a diradical which by Hund's rule will be a triplet, i.e. ferromagnetic.

Related to Why perfect graphene has nonmagnetic state?

1. Why is perfect graphene nonmagnetic?

Perfect graphene has a nonmagnetic state because of its unique electronic structure. It is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. This structure results in a high degree of electron delocalization, meaning that the electrons are free to move throughout the material without being confined to a specific atom. As a result, there is no net magnetic moment in perfect graphene.

2. Can graphene be made magnetic?

While perfect graphene is nonmagnetic, it is possible to make it magnetic by introducing defects or impurities in the lattice structure. These defects disrupt the delocalization of electrons and can create regions of localized magnetic moments. However, this magnetic state is not as stable as the nonmagnetic state, and it can be difficult to control and manipulate.

3. How does the magnetic state of graphene affect its properties?

The magnetic state of graphene can significantly impact its properties. For example, magnetic graphene may have different electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and mechanical properties compared to nonmagnetic graphene. This makes it an exciting area of research as scientists explore potential applications in fields such as spintronics and data storage.

4. What techniques are used to study the magnetic properties of graphene?

Various experimental techniques, such as scanning tunneling microscopy, electron spin resonance, and magnetic force microscopy, can be used to study the magnetic properties of graphene. These techniques allow scientists to observe the behavior of electrons and magnetic moments at the nanoscale and provide valuable insights into the material's behavior.

5. Are there any potential applications for magnetic graphene?

The magnetic properties of graphene have the potential for various applications in fields such as electronics, energy storage, and biomedicine. For example, magnetic graphene could be used in spintronic devices, which utilize the spin of electrons to store and process information. It also has potential applications in targeted drug delivery and magnetic sensors.