Why oxygen, cannot act as a pi-donor while NO can?

In summary: Nitrogen can act as a pi donor because you can form a nitrosyl species, e.g. when binding to a metal atom:M+..NO* <->M-NO+The corresponding dioxygenyl ion for oxygen is very rare and very high in energy. OTOH oxygen can act as a d-acceptor, forming a superoxo-species. (pretty much all the oxygen-consuming reactions in biology are performed by metal centers in enzymes, e.g. cytochrome c oxidase.)
queries
Hi,

I have learned that pi-donor are those ligands which donate their pi electrons to metal centre while pi-acceptor accepts electron from filled d(pi) orbital to their pi* orbital.
Now, I'm confused, why oxygen, having two pi* electrons cannot act as a pi-donor while NO, having one pi* electron only can?

Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you actually been told that oxygen cannot act in this way, or is it more that you haven't seen any examples yet?

Actually my professor said so, but I just wonder why

What is a pi bond? Is it present in an oxygen atom?

What is a pi electron? How does it relate to a pi bond?

edit: It just occurred to me that you might be referring to molecular oxygen. If that is the case, you should know that oxygen is paramagnetic... that is, it has two unpaired electrons. Try to resolve that bit of information with the Lewis structure!

Last edited:
Oxygen can act as a pi-donor. It seldom does because oxygen is electronegative and simply doesn't like donating electrons in general, pi or otherwise.

NO can act as a pi donor because you can form a nitrosyl species, e.g. when binding to a metal atom:
M+..NO* <->M-NO+

The corresponding dioxygenyl ion for oxygen is very rare and very high in energy. OTOH oxygen can act as a d-acceptor, forming a superoxo-species. (pretty much all the oxygen-consuming reactions in biology are performed by metal centers in enzymes, e.g. cytochrome c oxidase.)

chemistree: You don't know what a pi bond is, or you're not using your head? Of course he's talking about molecular oxygen. And why bring up Lewis structures when the discussion is already phrased in terms of more sophisticated MO theory?

alxm said:
Oxygen can act as a pi-donor. It seldom does because oxygen is electronegative and simply doesn't like donating electrons in general, pi or otherwise.

Please name one. I'd be very interested to learn about it.

Related to Why oxygen, cannot act as a pi-donor while NO can?

Why can't oxygen act as a pi-donor?

Oxygen has a full valence shell and does not have any available unpaired electrons to donate, which is necessary for acting as a pi-donor.

Why can NO act as a pi-donor?

NO has a lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom, which are available for donation to a pi-acceptor.

What is a pi-donor?

A pi-donor is a molecule or atom that can donate its electrons to another molecule or atom that has a vacant orbital, known as a pi-acceptor.

Why is oxygen considered a pi-acceptor?

Oxygen has a low-lying empty pi* orbital, which can accept electrons from a pi-donor molecule or atom.

Can oxygen ever act as a pi-donor?

In certain cases, oxygen can act as a pi-donor if it is in a highly reactive state, such as during a chemical reaction or in certain coordination complexes.