Why Must the Constant in Hilbert Space Function B[f(x)] Be Defined as Shown?

MoreIn summary, the conversation discusses a function B defined as f''(x) + f(x) + const., and the condition for it to be in a real Hilbert space. The conversation also touches on the inner product of the function and the constant value needed for it to be in the Hilbert space. The discussion concludes with speculation on the purpose of this condition and its relation to potential energy.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Given a function ##B## defined as $$B[f(x)]\equiv f''(x) + f(x) + const.$$ Evidently in order for this function to be in the real Hilbert space ##H## we know $$const. = -\frac{1}{x_1-x_0}\int_{x_0}^{x_1} (f''(x) + f(x))\,dx.$$ Can someone please explain why?

I can elaborate further if more info is needed! PLEASE!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are ##x_0, x_1##? On what Hilbert space are you working? (I.e. what set, what inner product?)

Math_QED said:
What are ##x_0, x_1##?
Sorry, ##x\in[x_0,x_1]:x_0,x_1\in R##. So they are real numbers.

joshmccraney said:
Sorry, ##x\in[x_0,x_1]:x_0,x_1\in R##. So they are real numbers.

And on what Hilbert space (= what is the set H) with what inner product are we working?

Math_QED said:
And on what Hilbert space (= which set) with what inner product are we working?
##L_2(s)## engendered with scalar product ##(u,v) = \int_s uv## for ease of notation, where I define ##s = [x_0,x_1]##.

Okay, you should have included this information from the beginning.

If ##B## is in ##L_2##, the inner product ##(B,1)## must exist, right?

Write out this inner product. What can you conclude?

EDIT: this might be the wrong approach. Is the constant in line 1 the same as the constant in the second line?

I think the question is ill posed, if this is the exact wording.

Math_QED said:
EDIT: this might be the wrong approach. Is the constant in line 1 the same as the constant in the second line?

I think the question is ill posed, if this is the exact wording.
The two constants are the same. I have summarized from the paper, but I don't think I've missed anything. Here's the link: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/BF01013829.pdf
and you'll see my question just after (2.12).

Edit: I'm waiting your response before following your initial instructions.

At any rate, what we can conclude is that ##(B,1)=0##.

joshmccraney said:

Well, if you say that ##(B,1) = 0## (I don't see why, but it is you who has to understand it ;)), it follows that

##0 = \int_c (f''(x) + f(x) + constant) dx = \int_c (f''(x) + f(x))dx + constant (x_1 - x_0)##

from which the desired equality follows.

Math_QED said:
Well, if you say that ##(B,1) = 0## (I don't see why, but it is you who has to understand it ;)), it follows that

##0 = \int_c f''(x) + f(x) + constant dx = \int_c f''(x) + f(x)dx + constant (x_1 - x_0)##

from which the desired equality follows.
Sorry, I meant if the constant is equal to the average of ##B[f(x)]## along ##s##. I don't understand why (before knowing that) the inner product should be zero.

The author uses the phrase "clearly" when defining the constant, so I'm assuming it's evident to most people?

I don't know. I am no physicist and I also didn't read the paper. Sometimes people write clearly because they are too lazy to explain thinhs. But the result seems to follow if you manage to show that that inner product is 0 (the claim is equivalent with it), so you might want to investigate why that is true.

Thanks for your help!

joshmccraney said:
I am not sure about your notation, as ##B## is an operator on the Hilbert space, with action defined by equation (2.8). Just before (2.8), the paper states "Let us consider in the space ##H## the seff-adjoint operator ##B## ...".

joshmccraney said:
Given a function ##B##
Again, ##B## is an operator on Hilbert space ##H##, not a function in ##H## (actually, equivalence classes of functions, but I will stick to representatives).

joshmccraney said:
defined as $$B[f(x)]\equiv f''(x) + f(x) + const.$$

I think (a simplified version of) equation (2.8) defines ##B## as
$$Bf = f - f' -\frac{1}{x_1 - x_0} \int^{x_1}_{x_0} \left( f\left(x\right) - f'\left(x\right) \right) dx$$

Now define the function ##u## by ##u\left(x\right) = 1## for every ##x##. Then, ##Bu = 0##, i.e., ##B## acting on the constant unity function gives the constant zero function. I think that this is what you mean by ##\left( B , 1 \right) =0##.

joshmccraney said:
$$const. = -\frac{1}{x_1-x_0}\int_{x_0}^{x_1} (f''(x) + f(x)) dx.$$ Can someone please explain why?
As @Math_QED has already written, this is just a property of a definite integral.

What follows is my guess at things, which could be really, really wrong.

I think that your questions is "Why is the operator ##B## defined such that it spits out zero when it operates on any constant function?"

The paper defines ##f## as "the magnitude of the deviation of the free surface ##S'## from the equilibrium surface ##S##". Also, after (2.13), the paper characterizes ##B## as a potential energy operator.

To simplify things, consider a horizontal (guitar) string that has fixed endpoints. The string as a straight horizontal line is in the equilibrium position. The string in this configuration has no potential to do (vibrational) work. Now pull one point of the string up. In this configuration, the string has the potential to do work, i.e., if you let go, the string will vibrate.

Let ##f## represent, at any ##x## along the string, the vertical displacement from the original horizontal equilibrium. If ##f## is constant along the entire length of the string, we have just moved the entire string up our down by a constant amount, and the string still has the shape of a straight horizontal line, and this configuration still has no potential to vibrate.

Consequently, if ##B## is potential energy, and ##f## is displacement, we want ##Bf=0## when ##f## is a constant function.

Likes member 428835 and member 587159
You reworded my question and I think gave a very good intuitive answer? Thanks!

B[f(x)] ≡ f′′(x) + f(x) + const.

This doesn't make sense as written. B is evaluated at the point f(x), so there seems no way that B could depend on f'(x) and f''(x) (unless these are functions of f(x), which is very rarely the case).

Related to Why Must the Constant in Hilbert Space Function B[f(x)] Be Defined as Shown?

1. What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that represents an infinite-dimensional vector space, often used in the study of functional analysis. It is named after the German mathematician David Hilbert and has applications in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What are functions in a Hilbert space?

Functions in a Hilbert space refer to elements or vectors in the Hilbert space that satisfy certain properties, such as being square-integrable. These functions can be used to represent physical systems and can be manipulated using mathematical operations.

3. How are functions in a Hilbert space different from functions in a regular vector space?

In a regular vector space, functions are considered as vectors with a finite number of components. In a Hilbert space, functions are infinite-dimensional vectors that can be represented as an infinite sequence of numbers. Additionally, functions in a Hilbert space must satisfy certain properties, such as being square-integrable.

4. What is the significance of functions in a Hilbert space?

Functions in a Hilbert space have significant applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to represent physical systems, such as wave functions in quantum mechanics, and can be manipulated using mathematical operations to solve complex problems.

5. How are functions in a Hilbert space related to inner product spaces?

Hilbert spaces are a type of inner product space, which is a vector space equipped with an inner product that allows for the definition of length and angle of vectors. Functions in a Hilbert space can be manipulated using inner products, making them a powerful tool in functional analysis and other areas of mathematics.