Why momentum is conserved for a jet of fluid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservation of momentum and its relation to friction and energy. While energy may not always be conserved in a system, momentum should be conserved due to the principles of fluid mechanics. The conversation also addresses the importance of critical thinking and avoiding making false claims when explaining concepts.
larsa
This is something I do not know how to explain.

Although velocity decreases due to friction with ambient air, momentum should be conserved and, therefore, it entrains mass.

What is the reason that momentum should be conserved?

Physics news on Phys.org
larsa said:
This is something I do not know how to explain.

Although velocity decreases due to friction with ambient air, momentum should be conserved and, therefore, it entrains mass.

What is the reason that momentum should be conserved?
I think the question is, why do you think momentum should be conserved? ENERGY is conserved but why would momentum be conserved? If you push a box along a floor and then let go, at the time you let go, the box has a certain velocity and momentum. Friction will slow the box down. Do you think momentum is conserved in this case?

phinds said:
I think the question is, why do you think momentum should be conserved? ENERGY is conserved but why would momentum be conserved? If you push a box along a floor and then let go, at the time you let go, the box has a certain velocity and momentum. Friction will slow the box down. Do you think momentum is conserved in this case?
If you have an external force on the system, neither energy nor momentum need be conserved.

If you close the system by including both the air and the jet so that their interaction stays inside the system then both energy and momentum are conserved.

Yes, well, I was trying to get him to think about the situation, not spoon feed him the answer.

phinds said:
Yes, well, I was trying to get him to think about the situation, not spoon feed him the answer.
The difficulty I had with that was with the claim that energy is conserved. It isn't.

jbriggs444 said:
The difficulty I had with that was with the claim that energy is conserved. It isn't.
It is in my example if you include the floor and the heat energy created by the friction that slows the box down. Again, my point was to get him to think about it.

phinds said:
It is in my example if you include the floor and the heat energy created by the friction that slows the box down. Again, my point was to get him to think about it.
Again, you are not listening. You claimed that energy was conserved but that momentum was not. That claim is false. Trying to explain things by making false claims is not proper.

jbriggs444 said:
Again, you are not listening. You claimed that energy was conserved but that momentum was not. That claim is false. Trying to explain things by making false claims is not proper.
Fair enough. I rushed my reply because I really just wanted him to think about it, and consequently I messed it up. Thanks.

phinds said:
Fair enough. I rushed my reply because I really just wanted him to think about it, and consequently I messed it up. Thanks.

It was simpler than I thought, thank you for your help

Related to Why momentum is conserved for a jet of fluid?

1. What is momentum and why is it important?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

2. How is momentum conserved for a jet of fluid?

Momentum is conserved for a jet of fluid because of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a jet of fluid, the fluid being ejected from the jet nozzle exerts a force on the surrounding air, causing it to move in the opposite direction. This results in an equal and opposite change in momentum, ensuring that the total momentum of the system remains constant.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum for a jet of fluid?

The conservation of momentum for a jet of fluid is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the fluid being ejected, the mass and velocity of the surrounding air, and the design and shape of the jet nozzle. Changes in any of these factors can alter the conservation of momentum and the resulting motion of the fluid and surrounding air.

4. Can momentum be lost in a jet of fluid?

No, momentum cannot be lost in a jet of fluid. As stated earlier, momentum is conserved according to Newton's Third Law of Motion. While the direction and speed of the fluid and surrounding air may change, the total amount of momentum remains constant.

5. How does the conservation of momentum for a jet of fluid relate to other laws of physics?

The conservation of momentum for a jet of fluid is closely related to other laws of physics, such as the laws of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics. It is also a fundamental principle of classical mechanics, which helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.