Maths needed to study QM and GR?

In summary, to fully understand Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity, it is recommended to take classes in tensor analysis, differential geometry, topology, differential equations, linear algebra, group theory, and potentially Hilbert spaces and category theory. While some of these subjects may not be directly used in physics, they can provide useful applications in mathematical physics and further research.
Lorentz
What Maths subjects should I study to understand Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, in order to fully understand GR, you might want to take a Tensor Analysis Class, along with a differential geometry class. For QM, i think you basically the mathematics required when you are learning it.

For GR you need tensor analysis, differential geometry, and for a sufficiently sophisticated course, topology.

For QM you need differential equations, linear algebra, and group theory.

Hilbert spaces wouldn't go amiss and if you want to look to the future then category theory too.

Tom Mattson said:
For GR you need tensor analysis, differential geometry, and for a sufficiently sophisticated course, topology.

Where does one use topology in general relativity?

Tensor geometry, diff topology, and functional analysis are very broad subjects. A lot of what you study in a strict maths class you won't really use in physics. Generally the mathematics you need will be taught in the physics class.

Of course, if you have an interest in doing further work/research in mathematical physics then doing the extra maths is very helpful because you may find interesting applications.

1. What level of math is needed to study Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

Both subjects require a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. Knowledge of differential equations, vector calculus, and complex numbers is also essential.

2. Do I need to know advanced math concepts like topology and differential geometry to understand QM and GR?

While knowledge of these subjects can be helpful, they are not necessary to understand QM and GR at a basic level. However, a basic understanding of these concepts can provide a deeper understanding of these theories.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in statistics to study QM and GR?

A basic understanding of statistics is necessary, as both subjects involve probability and statistical concepts. However, a deep understanding of statistics is not required to study QM and GR.

4. Can I study QM and GR without a strong background in math?

It is not recommended to study QM and GR without a strong foundation in math. These subjects rely heavily on mathematical concepts and equations, and a lack of understanding in math can make it difficult to comprehend these theories.

5. Are there any specific branches of math that are particularly important for studying QM and GR?

In addition to calculus and linear algebra, knowledge of group theory, functional analysis, and differential geometry can be especially helpful in understanding QM and GR. However, these subjects may not be necessary for a basic understanding of these theories.