Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Why isn't the "l1"-norm differentiable?

OhMyMarkov

Mar 5, 2012
Hello everyone!

I've searched a lot for this one, but couldn't find an answer:

If x is in R^N then ||x||_0 = x_1 + x_2 + ... + x_N. Why, then, isn't this norm differentiable?

(Btw, how to make LaTeX work?)

Thank you!

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Hello everyone!

If x is in R^N then ||x||_0 = x_1 + x_2 + ... + x_N. Why, then, isn't this norm differentiable?

(Btw, how to make LaTeX work?)

Thank you!
Put your math in between $\$$ signs. For example

$\$$||x||_0 = x_1 + x_2 + ... + x_N$\$ $ gives $ ||x||_0 = x_1 + x_2 + ... + x_N $.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Hello everyone!

I think you mean $\|x\|_0 = |x_1| + |x_2| + ... + |x_N|$ (without the absolute values it is not a norm). The geometric reason for non-differentiability of the norm is that the unit sphere $\{x:\|x\|_0=1\}$ has "corners". In one dimension, the function $f(x)=|x|$ is not differentiable at $x=0$. In $R^N$, the function $\|x\|_0$ is not differentiable at an extreme point of the unit sphere, such as the point $(1,0,\ldots,0).$

OhMyMarkov

Mar 5, 2012
Ohh, I missed the part with the absolute values... It's all clear now

Venki

Jul 2, 2012
I think you mean $\|x\|_0 = |x_1| + |x_2| + ... + |x_N|$ (without the absolute values it is not a norm). The geometric reason for non-differentiability of the norm is that the unit sphere $\{x:\|x\|_0=1\}$ has "corners". In one dimension, the function $f(x)=|x|$ is not differentiable at $x=0$. In $R^N$, the function $\|x\|_0$ is not differentiable at an extreme point of the unit sphere, such as the point $(1,0,\ldots,0).$

Hi Opalg,

I like your explanation from geometric point of view. It is very helpful. But Still it is confusing in terms of matrix calculus. could you elaborate the answer? Please.

Thank you
Venki

Last edited:

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Hi Opalg,

I like your explanation from geometric point of view. It is very helpful. But Still it is confusing in terms of matrix calculus. could you elaborate the answer? Please.

Thank you
Venki
It is because |x| is not differentiable at the corner x=0.

CB