Why isn't the imaginary component j included in the complex vector equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a complex vector expressed in instantaneous form and the confusion over the absence of an imaginary component in the equation. There is also a question about a possible error in the general notation for complex vectors. The speaker plans to clarify with their teacher.
jeff1evesque
Problem/Statement
The complex vector, [tex]\hat{v}(t) = cos(\omega t)\hat{x} + sin(\omega t)\hat{y}[/tex] is the unit vector [tex]\hat{v}(t)[/tex] expressed in instantaneous form.

Question
What I am wondering is, why is there no imaginary component "j" in say the sin component for the equation above?

Can we express a general notation for complex vectors as,
[tex]\hat{v}(t) = [cos(\omega t) + sin(\omega t)]\hat{x}] + [cos(\omega t) + sin(\omega t)]\hat{y}] [/tex]? Shouldn't that be the notation for the instantaneous form also?Thanks,Jeff

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Weird. You'd have to consult the source of the question (either your book or your professor or whatnot).

With the hats over the x and y, it almost looks like they are mixing R^2 and C. The two are, in fact, isomorphic, and anything you can say about complex numbers translates simply to a statement about vectors in a 2D plane.

If it were me, I'd make the assumption that they meant x = 1 and y = j. That way, v(t) is a complex number. (In fact, v would be the exponential function, [tex]e^{it}[/tex]).

Tac-Tics said:
Weird. You'd have to consult the source of the question (either your book or your professor or whatnot).

With the hats over the x and y, it almost looks like they are mixing R^2 and C. The two are, in fact, isomorphic, and anything you can say about complex numbers translates simply to a statement about vectors in a 2D plane.

If it were me, I'd make the assumption that they meant x = 1 and y = j. That way, v(t) is a complex number. (In fact, v would be the exponential function, [tex]e^{it}[/tex]).

Yea, I'm not sure. I think I will ask the teacher tomorrow. Oh I think I meant the following (as well),

Can we express a general notation for complex vectors as,
[tex]\hat{v}(t) = [[cos(\omega t) + sin(\omega t)]\hat{x} + j[cos(\omega t) + sin(\omega t)]\hat{y}] [/tex]? Shouldn't that be the notation for the instantaneous form also?

Related to Why isn't the imaginary component j included in the complex vector equation?

1. What is a complex vector expression?

A complex vector expression is a mathematical expression that involves vectors with complex components. In other words, it is a combination of real and imaginary numbers in the form of a vector.

2. How is a complex vector expression different from a regular vector expression?

A regular vector expression contains only real numbers, while a complex vector expression includes both real and imaginary numbers. This means that the components of a complex vector can be expressed as a combination of a real number and an imaginary number multiplied by the imaginary unit, i.

3. What are some common operations performed on complex vector expressions?

Some common operations on complex vector expressions include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and vector multiplication, such as dot product and cross product. These operations follow similar rules as regular vector expressions, but also take into account the complex components.

4. How are complex vector expressions used in science?

Complex vector expressions are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in studying systems with oscillatory behavior, such as electromagnetic waves and quantum mechanics.

5. What are the benefits of using complex vector expressions?

Using complex vector expressions allows for a more concise and compact representation of mathematical equations, as well as the ability to handle complex systems and phenomena. They also have practical applications in fields such as signal processing and image analysis.