Why Isn't My EM Stress Tensor Calculation Giving the Expected Result?

In summary: In the context of electric fields, the pressure is always directed perpendicular to the electric field.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

An electric field E exerts (in Gaussian cgs units) a pressure E2/8π orthogonal to itself and a tension of this same magnitude along itself. Similarly, a magnetic field B exerts a pressure B2/8π orthogonal to itself and a tension of this same magnitude along itself. Verify that the following stress tensor embodies these stresses:
T = 1/ 8π ((E2 + B2 )g − 2(EE + B B))

Homework Equations

##T_{ii}=P##

The Attempt at a Solution

##T_{xx}=P=1/ 8π(\textbf{E}^2 + \textbf{B}^2-2(E_x^2 + B_x^2))=1/ 8π(-E_x^2- B_x^2 + E_y^2+ B_y^2+ E_z^2 + B_z^2)##
##T_{xy}=2/ 8π(-E_xE_y- B_xB_y )##
Why I didn't get a right result? I probably don't understand "a pressure orthogonal to itself". In particular, it means that if E=(Ex,0,0) so in which direction is pressure? I would say in same but there is written orthogonal.
Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
##T_{xy}## is not a pressure, it is a shear stress component. The correct question to ask is what ##T_{xx}## is when the electric (or magnetic) field is in the ##x##-direction versus what it is when the electric (or magnetic) field is in the ##y##-direction.

Orodruin said:
##T_{xy}## is not a pressure, it is a shear stress component. The correct question to ask is what ##T_{xx}## is when the electric (or magnetic) field is in the ##x##-direction versus what it is when the electric (or magnetic) field is in the ##y##-direction.
Ok. So to your question (only in electric field):
1) ##\textbf{E}=(E1,0,0)##: ##T_{xx}=\textbf{E}^2-2E1^2=-E1^2##

2) ##\textbf{E}=(0,E1,0)##: ##T_{xx}=\textbf{E}^2=E1^2##

Second thing is whether I understand stress tensor. So I try to explain what it is ##T_{xx}##: We have defined unit area ##\textbf{a}## as unit vector perpendicular on this area. Let's say ##\textbf{a}=(1,0,0)## (##y-z## plane). Then ##T_{xx}## is force in ##x## direction on unit area ##\textbf{a}## (pressure).
From that I am confused from results which I have got. Minus pressure? What is wrong?

Nothing is wrong. Strains can be both positive and negative. It depends on the force across the area.

If you think about the stress tensor in regular solid mechanics, it would correspond to pulling vs pushing the material. (The EM stress tensor is just the same!)

Related to Why Isn't My EM Stress Tensor Calculation Giving the Expected Result?

1. What is an electromagnetic stress tensor?

The electromagnetic stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the stress and strain that occur in a material due to the presence of electromagnetic fields. It describes the distribution of forces and moments within a material caused by electromagnetic interactions.

2. How is the electromagnetic stress tensor calculated?

The electromagnetic stress tensor is calculated using the Maxwell stress tensor, which takes into account the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the dielectric and magnetic properties of the material. It is a 4x4 matrix that represents the stress and strain in all three dimensions and time.

3. What is the significance of the electromagnetic stress tensor in physics?

The electromagnetic stress tensor is an important tool in understanding the behavior of materials in the presence of electromagnetic fields. It is used in various fields of physics, including electrodynamics, quantum field theory, and general relativity. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as in the design of electromagnetic devices and materials.

4. How does the electromagnetic stress tensor relate to energy?

The electromagnetic stress tensor is closely related to the energy density and flow of electromagnetic fields. It can be used to calculate the energy stored in a material due to electromagnetic interactions and the rate of energy transfer. It is also used in the study of energy-momentum tensors in general relativity.

5. Can the electromagnetic stress tensor be measured?

Yes, the electromagnetic stress tensor can be indirectly measured using various techniques, such as interferometry and optical methods. It can also be calculated and simulated using computational methods. However, due to its complex nature, direct measurement of the electromagnetic stress tensor is challenging and is an active area of research in materials science and physics.