Why isn't classical physics probabilistic in nature?

In summary, classical physics does not follow a probabilistic nature, and this is why conventional predicting is absent at microscopic levels. Quantum mechanics is probabilistic, as chance is involved, which allows for more accurate predictions.
yugeci
Hello friends,

Why does classical physics not follow a probabilistic nature? And why is conventional predicting absent at microscopic levels? I have searched a little including sites like physics.exchange but only see responses that are "classical physics fails to predict this" or "it cannot explain this" or responses that are far beyond my syllabus. I know that for example you can't explain the photo-electric effect at a macroscopic level because the energy isn't related to the wave nature but rather the particulate nature. But what has that got to do with probability? This isn't really a homework question but I question I feel could come in my exam, and my understanding of quantum physics being probabilistic and classical physics being deterministic is quite poor. Still, I didn't think it was fit in the "Classical Physics" or "Quantum Physics" forums.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
To understand this, you first need to understand what it means when something is not probabilistic.
Something is not probabilistic when given a closed(no interactions with anything else) system at a certain time, there is an unique description of the system for every point in the future.

Classical physics is not probabilistic because it can fully determine what happens in the future, there is no chance involved. The description of classical physics does not fully correspond with reality, but the mathematics of it are not probabilistic.

Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is probabilistic, as chance is involved, because for certain states, we can only calculate chances for different outcomes, not the exact outcome.

It is not correct to say that classical physics is not probabilistic. It actually is. It is only non-probabilistic for a very particular class of situations. The term "statistical mechanics" was coined before the term "quantum mechanics", and the ideas and methods of statistical/probabilistic approach to classical physics were in circulation well before that time.

The perfectly deterministic laws of classical mechanics result in chaotic behavior where determinism is effectively lost even without having to introduce the quantum machinery. For example, we cannot make accurate predictions of the planetary motion in your very own Solar System over significant periods of time.

Related to Why isn't classical physics probabilistic in nature?

1. Why is classical physics not probabilistic in nature?

Classical physics is based on the principles of determinism, which states that the behavior and movement of all particles in the universe can be predicted with complete certainty. This means that classical physics does not take into account the element of chance or probability in the movement of particles.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical physics in terms of probability?

In quantum mechanics, the behavior of particles is described by wave functions, which are inherently probabilistic. This means that the movement and behavior of particles cannot be predicted with complete certainty, but rather are described in terms of probabilities.

3. Can classical physics account for the randomness observed in certain physical phenomena?

No, classical physics is unable to fully explain or account for the randomness and unpredictability observed in certain physical phenomena, such as radioactive decay or the behavior of subatomic particles. These phenomena can only be accurately described using the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any exceptions to the deterministic nature of classical physics?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the deterministic nature of classical physics. For example, certain chaotic systems, such as weather patterns, exhibit behavior that is highly sensitive to initial conditions and can therefore appear random and unpredictable. However, these exceptions do not change the overall deterministic nature of classical physics.

5. How does the concept of probability play a role in classical physics?

While classical physics does not view the movement of particles as probabilistic, the concept of probability is still important in understanding and predicting certain phenomena. For example, the laws of thermodynamics use probabilistic concepts, such as entropy, to describe the behavior of systems with large numbers of particles. Additionally, classical mechanics often uses statistical methods to analyze and make predictions about complex systems.