Why isn't a molecule's kinectic energy dependant on mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a molecule's average translational kinetic energy and its mass at a given temperature. The book states that the average translational kinetic energy depends only on temperature and not on mass. This raises the question of why molecules with bigger mass would not travel slower with the same amount of energy. The conversation also considers the scenario of supplying the same amount of heat to two different gases with varying masses, leading to a discussion about the distribution of kinetic energy in different gases.
aracali
So my book say's
"A molecule's average translational kinetic energy depends only on the temperature, not on the molecule's mass. If two gases have the same temperature, their molecules have the same average translational kinetic energy."​
My question is, why?
I mean, wouldn't molecules with bigger mass have more inertia and therefore would travel slower with the same amount of energy (which is related to temperature)?

Physics news on Phys.org
aracali said:
I mean, wouldn't molecules with bigger mass have more inertia and therefore would travel slower with the same amount of energy (which is related to temperature)?
Yes.

A.T. said:
Yes.
Also from my point view if we consider two different gases and we supply same amount of heat to both of them the one gas whose atoms are more heavier will have less kinetic energy and one which is lighter than the other one will have more kinetic energy

If heat is energy why would one gas end up with more than the other

Related to Why isn't a molecule's kinectic energy dependant on mass?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in joules (J).

Why isn't a molecule's kinetic energy dependent on its mass?

This is because the kinetic energy of a molecule is directly proportional to its velocity, not its mass. The mass of a molecule may affect its velocity, but it does not directly determine its kinetic energy.

What factors influence a molecule's kinetic energy?

The main factors that influence a molecule's kinetic energy are its mass and velocity. The temperature and pressure of the environment can also affect the kinetic energy of a molecule.

Is kinetic energy conserved in a closed system?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, the total kinetic energy of a closed system (one with no external forces acting on it) remains constant. This means that the total kinetic energy of all the molecules in the system will remain the same over time.

How is kinetic energy related to the speed of a molecule?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the velocity of a molecule. This means that as the speed of a molecule increases, its kinetic energy increases at a much faster rate.