Why is Word Constantly Requesting a Virus Scan?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary: I do maintain a spare box. I'll presume if auto-protect is on, then its probably scanning on execution.. So anything you open will be scanned first. I am guessing a bit, but this is how McAfee works...
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm trying to open a doc that I have already scanned with Norton AV.

Upon opening, Word is "requesting virus scan". Well, it's been doing that for a few minutes now...

What gives? I don't care if it scans it ten times but it seems to be stuck. I don't think its request has been met by NAV.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you have your scanner settings such that it scans on execution?

Uh I dunno. You mean how I have NAV set up? I don't know. All I see is Auto-protect status is ON.

You know, I liked to consider myself at least a little bit computer savvy (you, know, being a software developer by profession), but I just can't keep up with spyware and virus protection stuff. I don't know if I've got the right s/w, I don't know if I'm protected agianst this or that or what. I've got NAV on my system ,and I've just installed paretologic's Xoftspy, which didn't help so I've installed Adaware.

I honestly have no idea how less savvy people manage at all. I guess they just pay through the nose and have their local computer store do everything for them...

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea how less savvy people manage at all. I guess they just pay through the nose and have their local computer store do everything for them...
yeap

I'll presume if auto-protect is on, then its probably scanning on execution.. So anything you open will be scanned first. I am guessing a bit, but this is how McAfee works...

All this Securty for the Home desktop is crap IMHO.. I never have a Firewall on my PC, I do have a Virus scanner, but I disable it mostly, it slows down my PC. Get rid of the lot, buy a NAT Router, its enough (I doubt you will get TCP seq attacked), and use your computer knowledge, and common sence. Dont execute files you don't know where they came from or what they are, don't use IE, use firefox, don't open spam email. On occation use a adware removal tool, and perhaps McAfee stinger to detect any trojan's.

The only viruses I have had, have been on my spare box when I have been playing with them...

Related to Why is Word Constantly Requesting a Virus Scan?

What is a virus scan?

A virus scan is a process of checking a computer or electronic device for any malicious software or code that could harm the system.

Why do I need a virus scan?

Virus scans are essential as they help protect your device and personal information from malware, viruses, and other cyber threats.

How often should I run a virus scan?

It is recommended to run a virus scan at least once a week to ensure your device is protected. However, if you frequently download files or visit suspicious websites, it is best to run a scan more often.

What should I do if a virus is detected during a scan?

If a virus is detected during a scan, you should immediately quarantine or remove the infected file. It is also important to regularly update your antivirus software to prevent future infections.

Can a virus scan remove all types of viruses?

While virus scans are effective in detecting and removing most viruses, new and more complex viruses may require specialized tools or manual removal by a professional.