Why is using Newton's First Law failing me?

In summary, the question is about a factory worker pushing a 29.7kg crate at constant velocity along a level floor. The worker applies a force downward at an angle of 32∘ below the horizontal, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and floor is 0.24. Using the equation ∑F=0, the magnitude of the force required to move the crate at constant velocity is 82.3708N. However, this turns out to be the wrong answer because the equation used was incorrect. The correct equation is Fx - fk = 0, or Fcos32∘ - fk = 0, where fk is the force of kinetic friction. Drawing a free body diagram is recommended to
Murtuza Tipu
A factory worker pushes a 29.7kg crate a distance of 5.0m along a level floor at constant velocity by pushing downward at an angle of 32∘ below the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and floor is 0.24.

What magnitude of force must the worker apply to move the crate at constant velocity?

So because constant velocity
∑ f=0
Fx *cos(360-32) -fk = 0
Fx *cos(360-32) -(mg)(24) = 0
Fx *cos(328) - 69.8544N = 0
Fx = 69.8544N/cos(328∘)
Fx = 82.3708N

That turns out to be wrong, the expected answer is fk the force of kinetic friction. Why? Shouldn't I be able to use ∑F=0 in this problem to find the answer?

I also tried to find the square root of Fx2 + Fy2 but that didn't help either.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't use the right friction force. Start with the definition of friction and maybe draw yourself a free body diagram.

Murtuza Tipu said:
A factory worker pushes a 29.7kg crate a distance of 5.0m along a level floor at constant velocity by pushing downward at an angle of 32∘ below the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and floor is 0.24.

What magnitude of force must the worker apply to move the crate at constant velocity?

So because constant velocity
∑ f=0
Fx *cos(360-32) -fk = 0
I'm going to just use ##32^\circ## below; it doesn't make a difference. Your equation isn't correct. You should have
$$F_x - f_k = 0$$ or
$$F\cos 32^\circ - f_k = 0.$$ The x-component of F is ##F_x = F\cos 32^\circ##. Writing ##F_x \cos 32^\circ## doesn't make logical sense.

Why? Shouldn't I be able to use ∑F=0 in this problem to find the answer?
Yes, you can. Your thinking here is correct. It's just your execution is flawed for the reason paisello2 has hinted at.

You will save a lot of time and grief if you draw a free body diagram. have you done that?

Using Newton's First Law, which states that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion unless acted upon by an external force, may not be applicable in this situation because there are multiple forces acting on the crate. The worker is applying a force at an angle, which means there is a component of that force in the horizontal direction, as well as the force of kinetic friction acting in the opposite direction. In order to use ∑F=0, all forces must be acting in the same direction.

In this scenario, the force of kinetic friction is the only force acting in the horizontal direction, so it is the only force that can be equated to the horizontal component of the worker's force. The vertical component of the worker's force is not relevant in determining the magnitude of force needed to move the crate at constant velocity.

Therefore, the correct approach would be to equate the horizontal component of the worker's force to the force of kinetic friction, as shown in the calculations above. This will give the correct magnitude of force needed to move the crate at constant velocity.

Related to Why is using Newton's First Law failing me?

1. Why is my object not staying at rest or in motion without any external force?

According to Newton's First Law, an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. If your object is not following this law, it could be due to friction, air resistance, or other external forces that are not accounted for in your experiment.

2. Can Newton's First Law be applied to all objects?

Yes, Newton's First Law applies to all objects, regardless of their size or mass. However, the effects of this law may be more noticeable in larger or heavier objects.

3. How can I use Newton's First Law to explain the motion of objects in space?

In space, there is no air resistance or other external forces to slow down or stop the motion of objects. Therefore, objects in space will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This aligns with Newton's First Law.

4. What are some real-life examples of Newton's First Law in action?

Some examples of Newton's First Law in action include a ball rolling down a hill, a book sitting on a table, and a car moving at a constant speed on a straight road. In each of these situations, the object will continue to move in the same direction and at the same speed unless an external force is applied.

5. How can I use Newton's First Law to improve my experiments?

By understanding and applying Newton's First Law, you can better predict and account for the effects of external forces on your objects. This can help you design more accurate experiments and make more precise measurements.