Why is Uranium-236 less stable than Uranium-235 and Uranium-238?

In summary: U-238.In summary, U-238 is more stable than U-236 because it has more neutrons to stabilize the nucleus.
Josh0768
Why is Uranium-236 less stable than Uranium-235 and Uranium-238?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a specific question about isotope stability. The answer requires a detailed many problem analysis of nucleons.

Two simple parts of answer:
U-236 is less stable than U-238 because it has a lower mass. The half-lives of even isotopes of U are:
U-232 - 69 years
U-234 - 240 000 years
U-236 - 24 000 000 years
U-238 - 4 500 000 000 years
Now, all even isotopes of U, and their daughters, have zero spin.
Odd isotopes of U have nonzero spin. And there is no requirement that the spin of mother and daughter should be equal. In case of U-235, they are not. Which contributes to long half-life of U-235.
Can anyone expand?

I do not understand "U-236 is less stable than U-238 because it has a lower mass. " I thought lower mass usually contributes to greater stability. I think density would have a lot of influence on stability.

UppercaseQ said:
I do not understand "U-236 is less stable than U-238 because it has a lower mass. " I thought lower mass usually contributes to greater stability.
Well, now I managed to look up decay energies, they were ordered as expected:
U-238 - 4270 keV
U-236 - 4494 keV
U-234 - 4870 keV
The reason U-238 has smaller decay energy than U-236 is that both have the same number of protons to repel each other, but U-238 has more neutrons binding them together by strong force.

Likes artis and UppercaseQ
For a given mass number (sum of protons and neutrons) there is an optimum proton to neutron ratio - the lowest energy state for that mass number. The farther away you are from that optimum the more energy nuclei have, which makes them less stable. It's not always a 1:1 relation but it's a pretty consistent pattern. U-235 and U-238 are close to that optimal ratio, while the uranium isotopes with fewer or more neutrons are a bit away from it.

U-237 with its short half life (a week) is an outlier here.

snorkack said:
The reason U-238 has smaller decay energy than U-236 is that both have the same number of protons to repel each other, but U-238 has more neutrons binding them together by strong force.
Of course. I understand. And two more neutrons are not going to increase the diameter that much - not going to make two repelling protons that much further apart. While I am at it though, I think I heard that protons do not have strong force for each other. Personally I think they would. I would not think losing or gaining an electron would affect whether or not they have strong force.

UppercaseQ said:
I think I heard that protons do not have strong force for each other.
They do. The strong interaction doesn't really care about protons vs. neutrons.

It's not clear what "stable" means in the question. It may mean that U-235 has a longer half-life than its neighbors, but one cannot determine that by studying the parent nucleus in isolation: half-life is a function of both the parent and daughter.

Further, one is not going to be able to determine this by qualitative arguments like "not going to increase the diameter that much". The energy difference between parent and daughter is ~1/500 of the binding energy. You don't get 0.2% precision with qualitative arguments.

I found this at MIT:

1607835997344.png

It's hard to see, but the point of this is that a small change in energy difference (alpha particles are typically 4-5 MeV) makes a huge difference in lifetime: of order a factor of a billion per MeV. You need a very precide knowledge of energy levels, and you don't get that with hand-waving. You need serious calculation.

Likes Astronuc
mfb said:
For a given mass number (sum of protons and neutrons) there is an optimum proton to neutron ratio - the lowest energy state for that mass number. The farther away you are from that optimum the more energy nuclei have, which makes them less stable. It's not always a 1:1 relation but it's a pretty consistent pattern. U-235 and U-238 are close to that optimal ratio, while the uranium isotopes with fewer or more neutrons are a bit away from it.

U-237 with its short half life (a week) is an outlier here.
U is an even element. All even U isotopes from 230 to 238 are stable to beta decay or electron capture. Odd isotopes just 233 and 235.
U-237 has too many neutrons so it decays in under 7 days.
U-238 has even more neutrons but it cannot beta decay - it would form Np-238 which is odd-odd - so the neutrons stabilize the nucleus and make alpha decay slower.
U-239 is odd and has beta decay in 23 minutes - faster than U-237.
U-240 is even and has so great neutron excess that it can beta decay despite forming odd-odd isotope. But its halflife is 14 h - longer than U-239, exactly because it is even and daughter has to be odd-odd.

1. Why is Uranium-236 less stable than Uranium-235 and Uranium-238?

Uranium-236 is less stable than Uranium-235 and Uranium-238 because it has an odd number of neutrons, which makes it more susceptible to nuclear decay. The odd number of neutrons creates an imbalance in the nucleus, making it less stable and more likely to undergo radioactive decay.

2. How does the number of neutrons affect the stability of an isotope?

The number of neutrons in an isotope plays a crucial role in its stability. Isotopes with an even number of neutrons tend to be more stable because they have a balanced number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. Isotopes with an odd number of neutrons, like Uranium-236, have an imbalance in the nucleus, making them less stable and more likely to undergo nuclear decay.

3. What is the difference between the stability of Uranium-235 and Uranium-238?

Uranium-235 and Uranium-238 have different levels of stability due to their different numbers of neutrons. Uranium-235 has 143 neutrons, while Uranium-238 has 146 neutrons. This difference in neutron number creates an imbalance in the nucleus of Uranium-238, making it less stable than Uranium-235. However, both isotopes are still more stable than Uranium-236 due to their even number of neutrons.

4. How does the instability of Uranium-236 affect its use in nuclear reactions?

The instability of Uranium-236 makes it unsuitable for use in nuclear reactions. It has a shorter half-life compared to Uranium-235 and Uranium-238, meaning it decays at a faster rate. This makes it difficult to control and use in nuclear reactions, as the fuel would need to be constantly replenished. Additionally, the decay of Uranium-236 produces unstable and potentially dangerous byproducts, making it a less desirable fuel source.

5. Can Uranium-236 be artificially created?

Yes, Uranium-236 can be artificially created through nuclear reactions. Uranium-235, which is more abundant in natural uranium, can be bombarded with neutrons to create Uranium-236. However, this process is expensive and not commonly used, as the resulting Uranium-236 is unstable and difficult to control. Most of the Uranium-236 found on Earth is the result of nuclear reactions in nuclear reactors or nuclear weapons.