Why is this RC circuit not working?

In summary, A person is seeking help with measuring the voltage across a capacitor in a circuit. They mention that the voltage should gradually increase and then become constant, but they are only getting a constant voltage of 6V. They also mention doing a transient analysis and not seeing a rising trend in the voltage. After sharing an image of the circuit and receiving a suggestion to consider voltage divider theory, the person realizes they were not setting the initial condition of the capacitor to 0V.
hammadmunawar
Hello all!

I am really stuck up here. I have made this circuit and want to measure the voltage across the capacitor. The voltage should gradually increase as the capacitor charges, and then become constant. But, I only get a constant voltage of 6V across the capacitor.

Infact, I have to measure the time constant. I am doing a transient analysis, and when I plot the voltage, it just shows a straight line, and no rising trend.

Please help!

The circuit image can be seen at:

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8897/rccircuit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done voltage divider theory, and do you know how a capacitor 'see's' a DC supply?

Thanks for the reply.

I have solved the problem. I was not setting the initial condition of the capacitor to 0V.

Related to Why is this RC circuit not working?

1. Why is the LED not lighting up in my RC circuit?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Check to make sure all the components are connected correctly and that there are no loose connections. Also, verify that the LED is not damaged. Additionally, check the voltage of the power source and make sure it is enough to power the LED.

2. Why is there no output voltage in my RC circuit?

If there is no output voltage, it could be due to a faulty or incorrect resistor or capacitor. Make sure the values of these components are correct and that they are connected in the right order. Also, check for any short circuits or loose connections that could be causing the issue.

3. Why is my RC circuit producing unexpected results?

Unexpected results can occur if the components in the circuit are not within their tolerances. Make sure to use components with the correct values and tolerances. Also, check for any noise or interference from external sources that could be affecting the circuit.

4. Why is my RC circuit not responding to changes in input voltage?

If the circuit is not responding to changes in input voltage, it could be due to a faulty capacitor. Check to make sure the capacitor is properly connected and has the correct capacitance value. Also, check for any damaged components or loose connections that could be affecting the circuit's response.

5. Why is my RC circuit not working at all?

If the circuit is not working at all, it could be due to a faulty power source or a blown fuse. Check the voltage of the power source and make sure it is enough to power the circuit. Also, check for any damaged components or blown fuses that could be causing the issue.